Ore Extraction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Auger, Bucket Elevator, Self Tipping Hoist, Head frame, auger would be cheaper, but the wear would higher, a bucket elevator would have more moving parts so obviously the expense for initial set up would be greater than a auger, I'm thinking both could have issues with jamming, but if the auger jams it can simply be reversed to clear, dirt through the auger would have to be sized, where as if it fitted in the bucket it could be hauled, Self Tipping Hoist, the same that are used in opal mining, played with these systems some time ago I love them, but, a lot of moving parts, 44 gallon drum for the kibble and dirt wouldn't need to be sized for extraction, Head Frame, would be my last choice, greatest amount of moving parts, set up up top for tipping ore out would be expensive, eg: stopper switches, tipping kibble, chutes.
Both Self Tipping Hoist and Head Frame would require 2 man operation for effectively separating ore from waste, Auger and Bucket Elevator could be set up for solo operation.
Any thoughts and or ideas would be greatly appreciated :) , all except using Jedi mind power to elevate the dirt to the surface, (stupid brother of dwt) :rolleyes:

It depends entirely on what you are trying to extract, and how much you hope to extract on a daily basis. Are you talking hard rock. That is primary quartz vein hosted gold, or alluvial or deep lead gold. If you are talking hard rock, what are you using to break out the ore? Drill, blast, muck out etc, or just a jack pick, and muck out. If alluvial are you simply digging non compacted wash, or cemented deposits? From experience I would suggest that you would be extracting no more than 2 tonne a day if by yourself, or even two people. So I would use a tripod frame winch set up with a small kibble. If you have a mate no need for self tipping set ups. He or she would haul up the kibble, then it is swung either left or right to the ore pile or mullock. If you are on your own, then I would suggest, a self tipping arrangement with an auto tipping bucket. It also depends what depth you are hauling from. Is this for use on a claim? If so, then you need to comply with Worksafe standards for lifting and winches etc. If not on a claim, then you may not be legally allowed to do this with machinery.
Hope this helps.

Sounds like you got a bit of a plan there DWT.

I have no experience whatsoever but I am keen to follow this thread and see what eventuates as I have a fair interest in seeing this sort of mine in operation.

Good luck

Is it a vertical hoisting system required or an incline of 75 degrees or less? Maybe a rubber bucket conveyor would fit the bill? (Like an auto ball loading system for Mills)

Cliff

I'd go bucket chain. Continuous feed as long as you can keep the hopper full.
Too many issues with a auger plus you have to crush & screen UG. I don't like self tippers, low maintenance but so much more to go wrong.

However if you can crush & screen UG and have water available make a slurry and sump pump it out straight over a sluice.

It all depends on what type of ore you are extracting, how deep, and how much. A bit more info.??

All good points.

Economy of scale is what i would be looking for....how much gold for how much labor and expense as PB pointed out!

I would first consummate a quantitative and qualitative assay of any mining project i was considering. ie how many grams per tonne am i looking at, and how pure is the mineral in deposit.

Overburden.......what is the percentage of waste to high grade ore? (depth to where you should be)
Is my waste dump going to be busier than my crusher?

1 gram per tonne, pffft...lets use the auger.....31+ grams per tonne, now we can bring in the bucket elavator!

Know what i mean?

;)

Theoretically speaking, How bout first we look at deep lead dirt, hauling some 50-60 feet in a vertical shaft that was wide enough for a 2 stage pass, let's say a couple of guys working it, we could break it down into two sections, one, they have a approved lease, two, they are prospecting, obviously there is the difference between manual and mechanical, so let's throw some ideas around.
Firstly let's look at manual, these blokes are on private property, so locking up the top of they're shaft so there is no open hole at the end of each day is no biggie, they have decided to stay prospecting instead of going full lease, so they're non mechanical digging and now they're going to start hauling.
Hand winching, designs/ideas? I know there are simple systems out there but let's think outside the box, geared winching, push bike powerd winching, which ever system gets that dirt to the surface fast and safe like, keeping in mind that full fabrication of a new system would not be outside their abilitys.
The floor is open :)

Kibble and winch set up would work best. maybe a guide rail on the side of the shaft with a brake so if the winch fails the kibble doesn't fall down the shaft. Electric winch with brake is good too. This could be easily set up and fairly cheaply too.

Geared winch on a manual set-up makes sense, might be the difference between needing one, two or more men at the head stand.

These guys are using power to raise, but I guess you could easily adapt their idea to a manual type setup!

The shaft guide doubles as an entry and exit ladder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26u2xbLcSd4

;)

Puddler Bill said:
Kibble and winch set up would work best. maybe a guide rail on the side of the shaft with a brake so if the winch fails the kibble doesn't fall down the shaft. Electric winch with brake is good too. This could be easily set up and fairly cheaply too.
Worked with a guy some 6 years ago underground who had designed a braking system for a kibble, the guts of it was the hoist cable lifted from the centre of the kibble, down some 3 feet from the top, the braking system acted like a sprung scissor action, basically once weight dropped off the cable the springs would apply tension to the scissor action slamming two brakes into the guide rails, once tension was reapplied to the cable the brakes released and off the kibble went.
Your post just reminded me PB, cheers ;)

Metamorphic said:
Geared winch on a manual set-up makes sense, might be the difference between needing one, two or more men at the head stand.

These guys are using power to raise, but I guess you could easily adapt their idea to a manual type setup!

The shaft guide doubles as an entry and exit ladder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26u2xbLcSd4

;)
Self tipping hoists, fantastic design ;)

Sounds like you've already settled on a self tipping hoist DWT.

Manual drive only it would have to be a ratchet winch either a full circle or push pull lever, that way you can have a secondary brake system if the ratchet fails.
Geared reduction boat winches are reasonably cheap and available everywhere. you could even reduce the drive more with a belt drive to a push bike

To secure the open hole, build a shed over it and integrate your poppet head into the frame, plus you can mount ventilation fans, switch boards, generators etc. in the shed.

End of the shift lock the shed door and go for a beer.

Old design, simple yet effective.
People elevators used the same system and I think it was Otis him self that invented it.
A pair of scissor claws that retracted when the pod was lifted.
If the cable broke the scissors would slam shut on a vertical guide hence stopping any rapd
descent until they were released by applying lift again.

dwt said:
Puddler Bill said:
Worked with a guy some 6 years ago underground who had designed a braking system for a kibble, the guts of it was the hoist cable lifted from the centre of the kibble, down some 3 feet from the top, the braking system acted like a sprung scissor action, basically once weight dropped off the cable the springs would apply tension to the scissor action slamming two brakes into the guide rails, once tension was reapplied to the cable the brakes released and off the kibble went.

Wintersnake said:
Sounds like you've already settled on a self tipping hoist DWT.

Manual drive only it would have to be a ratchet winch either a full circle or push pull lever, that way you can have a secondary brake system if the ratchet fails.
Geared reduction boat winches are reasonably cheap and available everywhere. you could even reduce the drive more with a belt drive to a push bike

To secure the open hole, build a shed over it and integrate your poppet head into the frame, plus you can mount ventilation fans, switch boards, generators etc. in the shed.

End of the shift lock the shed door and go for a beer.
Not really mate, just reckon they are a awesome idea, I have even seen them set up with LSD differentials :D
Respect ;)

Tathradj said:
Old design, simple yet effective.
People elevators used the same system and I think it was Otis him self that invented it.
A pair of scissor claws that retracted when the pod was lifted.
If the cable broke the scissors would slam shut on a vertical guide hence stopping any rapd
descent until they were released by applying lift again.

dwt said:
Puddler Bill said:
Learn something new every day, mighta been where he got his idea from, dunno, but from what I'd heard it worked quite well.

Latest posts