Ophir camping and gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawny

Justin
Reaction score
Hey peeps been a lil while since I've been on but I'm interested in having a look out at Ophir. I've heard some nice stories of people finding nice size flakes out there etc. my query is what is the camping situation like that out there. I did a small bit of research and found a campground just next to the river over the causeway but I'm curious if there's other places around there to setup camp and have a sluice etc.
Cheers Justin

No idea, Pawny.

I typed Ophir into the WikiCamps Australia app on my Android tablet and only the one site popped up. I guess it would be the same one you saw.
$10 per car per night I think (that was last year). Looks very pleasant, judging by the photos uploaded to the app by several different guests!

Cheers,
DavidH

Mullions Range State Forest & Mullions Range State Conservation Area aren't too far away.
Map of the state forest fossicking area:

http://www.forestrycorporation.com....king-area-map-mullions-range-state-forest.pdf
You can fossick & camp in the state forest (with fossicking permit). Doesn't appear to be any camping facilities so it's proper bush camping there.

The SCA (State Conservation Area) is the grey shaded area towards the bottom right noted as National Park on the key. Not sure if you can camp in there but definitely no fossicking allowed. Info: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHome.aspx?id=N0639

I was there Jan long weekend didnt do much detecting but the camping area is not to bad has pit toilets which were clean at the time .we went into Orange to get a permit from council chambers was $10 bucks a night.They had a honesty box but some scumbag tore it from its post we had a good chat to a women who is a member of the trust that looks after the place her father in-law found the Fathers day nugget .