old settlement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
g'day everyone. My father showed me a place where he thinks that an old town was. we have no maps of where things were or how large it was. does anybody have any help on where i should start?

Cheers, luke ;)

What was the old towns name? or the are around the site?
Start with finding the name then start googling... parish maps, trove, old local newspaper notes etc
Once you've done a bit of research you can try and find a starting point at the site like an old school or merchant store.
Record your measurements and look for tracks and flat spots in the scrub. Start mapping and enjoy the hunting :D

thanks Average Joe but we dont know anything about this town. i have researched but still can't find any thing. i did find some footings from what looks like an old house. if you go by the footings, it looks like a fireplace at the back of the building. there are also trees i found that have square concrete slabs around the bottom. the bricks say haines on them so do you know what year they were made? we found what looks like two more buildings (only the footings) and a small shed or long drop. this had the footings but it had wooden planks that looked like the original planks. it only had four on the outside not on the inside.

cheers, Luke ;)

By the sounds of things your best bet would be to spend an afternoon detecting and hopefully find a few relics, coins etc. that will give you a better idea of the age of the place. Identifying trees that have been introduced to the area (non-native) and "guesstimating" their age will also give you a rough idea of the sites age.
Have fun exploring mate

Cheers average joe. I will be going back hopefully sometime in the new year. Thanks for the help. And hopefully i do find something good. ;)

Step No. 1.........Logon to the above web address www.land.vic.gov.au
Step No. 2.........Select the "Titles, Property,Certificates & Crown Land" option ( right hand side of page).
Step No. 3.........Select the "Central Plan Office Records" icon ( middle of page).
Step No. 4.........Register as a user ( this is free, as is viewing the plans)
Step No. 5.........Login with your new Username & Password.
Step No. 6.........Select "Record Plan".
Step No. 7.........Select the Township or Parish plan of your choice.
Step No. 8.........Select "View"

Gday Duck , do you know if thats the same for NSW ?
Ive been trying to find old town plan or parish maps for a spot but just seem to go in circles
Was gonna go to the city library in the new year for help

lukesaunders said:
thanks for he help guys but im in tassie

Living in Tassie is not an insurmountable obstacle, and although the learning of this is belated to those of us who have offered advice, it is no doubt a helpful point of focus ;)

I hope that the links in the previous couple of posts are helpful .

casper

thanks casper and backcreek for the info. looks like i have some reading to do this arvo. casper, when i said that i live in tassie i was talking to duck because the website he posted was for victoria.

Latest posts