Old Mine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on the forum has any information on the mining at Mt Wheeler QLD I have googled searched the area and read everything I can find, there was some mining that took place some 5 years back.

Im really looking for that mine not the Galawa mine.

Im a local and been out there many times, cant find it maybe someone with google earth could have a look and shoot me through some coordinates.

Cheers Margaret

From what i can find, there seemed to be 2 major reefs that where heavily mined near Mt Wheeler.

The first being about 13 ft in thickness and situated about 2 miles from Mt Wheeler on the coastal side.

The main reef seems to be the Victoria Reef.....Situated at the back of Mt Wheeler, about five miles north of Cawarral.

They say the show of stone was described as being equal to any that had been found in the area.
This may be the one you seek Kim, Im not sure.

Google Earth seems to list it as 'Untitiled' and gives Co-ords of;

The above Co-ords are decimal which i converted from GE deg-min-sec.

Here is a screenshot of the target area with the Co-ords of 'Untitled' (page centre) in d/m/s at the bottom of the page along with elevation.

2w4fw3a.jpg

Not sure if this is what you seek Kim, but might be worth a look next time your in the area.

The Victoria was a rich reef, so makes sense to investigate i guess.

Good Luck ;)

Thanks Metamorphic I believe the Victoria is the one I'm looking for Its tough going in there and now after the Cyclone a month back its going to be even tougher
Cheers Margaret

Google Earth is free to download and install ;)

It has been helping me out a huge amount finding new rivers and what not around the canberra area.

Latest posts