Old key? Maybe?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this today at the local park, looks to me like an old key, any suggestions? Also if it is an old key any idea when it would be dated too and would it be a good indicator for old coins? Sorry for the newbie questions :)

It is a park that is still used today with a playground area, but it has an old shack towards the back with what looks like an old grave (some large boulders placed deliberately and the ground around the boulders is bordered by old timber logs)

The area does have alot of history, the school accross the road was established in 1871.

Just wondering if i should put the time and effort in to detecting the area around the old shack?

1448065749_2015-11-21_10.10.58.jpg

1448065777_2015-11-21_10.10.36.jpg

1448065802_2015-11-21_10.09.57.jpg

Thanks.

Thanks DD
Ahh yes thats possible, it still doesn't look modern. Do you think it may be a good indicator for old coins?

Thanks

Unfortunately there are no "old coins here" signs M3 - occasionally some of the junk finds may give an indication of the age of the area but for the most part old coins are where you find them ... Check around the base of old trees and likely traffic areas ... Cover your holes well and put in the hours detecting - you'll soon figure it out!

In my experience, Old sites either have lots of coins, and fewer relics. Or lots of relics, but fewer coins.

Thanks guys for your insight its been very helpful, i hit the playground looking for lose change every few weeks but have always wondered wether it is worth while detecting around the old shack. Thanks for your tips.

M3