Old Bloke, New Member

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why wasn't this forum up and running 50 years ago when I first got interested in kicking rocks?? ;) Have read a few good posts and quite willing to share knowledge.
Started work for the Main Roads Dept. in the Kimberlies of WA in 1964, after arriving as a Ten Quidder. That is when I first became interested in fossicking and so on.
Cheers, Bobj.

Jaros said:
What Internet???? Welcome Bob. Still in the Kimberly's?

Thanks for the welcome, mate.

No, I left there in 1979 and went to Glen Innes. Why Glen? Fossicking. Found a nice little creek and won a few $$ worth of sapphires over a year or three.
Actually, I used to do a bit of pinging around the old gold mines around Kookabookra in New England and around Torrington.
Many years later, I thought it would be nice to ping off again, so to speak and was looking for info on medium range pingers. That is how I came to find this forum.
Trouble is, I want a pinger but really too old to go galavanting around this magic land and can't really justify the costs. My old (40 years) pinger has a severely corroded battery box.
Have been retired now for 20 years to Paradise, Ball Bay, Qld.
Cheers, Bobj.

Jaros said:
Never heard of Ball Bay till now. Approx 50klm Nth Mackay. Looks like a bit of paradise that's for sure. Good fishing too I bet. :)

Generally good, but this last month has been too windy, due to 2 cyclones that decided they were not cyclones...Sorta thing...Lotsa small mackerel in season and a few good barramundi off the rocks from October on.

A 97 cm barra.

1548557574_p1060820.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

roy cobb said:
Welcome Bobj you never too old just do what you can and ejoy doing it.
Roy

Thank, mate. At 78, it gets a bit tough getting off the bed er...couch. :D
Cheers, Bobj.

Jaros said:
Never heard of Ball Bay till now. Approx 50klm Nth Mackay. Looks like a bit of paradise that's for sure. Good fishing too I bet. :)

Noticed your 'light bucket', mate. I am going to enjoy this forum; all my hobbies in one forum...Any orchid enthusiasts to make it a perfect forum?? Hmm?

BTW, my light bucket is a 10" Dob.
Cheers, Bobj.

Bobj. said:
roy cobb said:
Roy

Cheers, Bobj.

I understand where you are coming from but you do what you can and enjoy life ever if that means just getting up is the goal for the day.
Roy

Bobj. said:
roy cobb said:
Roy

Cheers, Bobj.
Hey mate
Welcome to the forum.
It get hard getting off the bed at 48 :)
Nice barra by the way. :Y:

G'day Bob, welcome to the forum.

I'm just down the road a bit from you at Sapphire and I get over your way for some fishing every now and then, more often to Cape Palmerston south of Sarina, but I do like the Seaforth area.

You might have a bit more weather heading your way with that big low slowly moving south.

Jeff

snafu said:
G'day Bob, welcome to the forum.

I'm just down the road a bit from you at Sapphire and I get over your way for some fishing every now and then, more often to Cape Palmerston south of Sarina, but I do like the Seaforth area.

You might have a bit more weather heading your way with that big low slowly moving south.

Jeff

Thanks for that, Jeff, been to The Willows many times, found a 12 carat green on the dirt road once, but that was in 1973. In those days, Sapphire had a few mines and a couple of open cuts. The post office had a camping ground and that was pretty much it!

Never been to Cape Palmerston. Heard that if you missed the tide...

Yes, we are experiencing one of the cyclones to have when youre not having a cyclone...3 so called cyclones that only gave up the puff and dropped a few inches of rain.
Cheers, Bobj.

Latest posts