Old 1867 Street Map LAT/LONG help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick64

Michael Ortiz
Reaction score
I have an old street map from 1867 showing the old streets and blocks of land. This old town is well gone and hidden somewhere in Pine Forrests. Along the side of each Street and where it may angle off it looks like LAT/LONG would this give an indication to where the town was?

EG: along the side of one street it shows .....N 48 52'E..... then another street intersecting it will have another, something like...... S 34 22'E.....
I can't put this into Google Earth as it doesn't look complete

Does anyone know what these are and can I convert to something Google Earth would understand?

Thanks

Mick

I don't know how close you'll get but try it on an Iphone maps or a gps, navman?
Australia has moved since 1867 :eek:

Those numbers on you map are most likely survey bearings and got noting to do with the latitude and longitude of the place.
Karl

KarlS said:
Those numbers on you map are most likely survey bearings and got noting to do with the latitude and longitude of the place.
Karl

Yes you are right, I didn't think abut Surveyors bearings. I just did a quick search in google and you can convert them, just going to take some time but that's half the fun :D

Latest posts