Ol' School Prices.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Licking windows said:
I remember as kids we would always go over to the local bottle dump to see if anyone had dropped off any coke bottles that you could take down to the milk bar and get a 20 cent refund for, we did alright most weeks and would save them up for the weekend then take them down and buy lollies, malted milks ect , we went over on one particular day and our little eyes nearly popped out of our heads as someone had dropped off dozens and dozens of them. :Y: we had to get them out of there and fast as we werent the only kids who used to try their luck, we put them in boxes, milk crates whatever we could carry them in and made around 6-7 trips to drop them off at my house as I lived the closest :perfect: long story short we collected from memory around $60 worth and did we have fun spending it down the milk bar on the weekends .

Back in the day, we got sixpence refund on coke bottles and the mean old bugger who owned the local shop was always trying to 'dud' us kids in some way - bottles too dirty or a chip in the glass etc and he would only give us a penny or tuppence per bottle. We came up with a plan where we offered to save him the task of carrying the bottles to the crates at the back of the shop and as soon as we were out of sight, we handed the bottles to another kid who would present them for the refund. There were times when we reaped anywhere up to 10 times the normal refund on some bottles - payback to the old bugger for being mean. :D

Jeff

I suppose this is not 'old school prices' but it something I kept (Not the car unfortunately), my first 'new car 1963 Morris Cooper'

1548884730_dscf1289.jpg

1548884832_274.jpg

snafu said:
Licking windows said:
I remember as kids we would always go over to the local bottle dump to see if anyone had dropped off any coke bottles that you could take down to the milk bar and get a 20 cent refund for, we did alright most weeks and would save them up for the weekend then take them down and buy lollies, malted milks ect , we went over on one particular day and our little eyes nearly popped out of our heads as someone had dropped off dozens and dozens of them. :Y: we had to get them out of there and fast as we werent the only kids who used to try their luck, we put them in boxes, milk crates whatever we could carry them in and made around 6-7 trips to drop them off at my house as I lived the closest :perfect: long story short we collected from memory around $60 worth and did we have fun spending it down the milk bar on the weekends .

Back in the day, we got sixpence refund on coke bottles and the mean old bugger who owned the local shop was always trying to 'dud' us kids in some way - bottles too dirty or a chip in the glass etc and he would only give us a penny or tuppence per bottle. We came up with a plan where we offered to save him the task of carrying the bottles to the crates at the back of the shop and as soon as we were out of sight, we handed the bottles to another kid who would present them for the refund. There were times when we reaped anywhere up to 10 times the normal refund on some bottles - payback to the old bugger for being mean. :D

Jeff
Snafu,Some mates and I were doing the same thing until the shopkeeper started putting an "X" on the bottles before putting them out the back of the shop.We grabbed some from his backyard one day and took them in for a refund."Finally caught you ,you little buggers" he said.Mum and Dad ended up buying his house years later and he remembered me and dobbed me straight in to Mum and Dad.Dad just laughed, but Mum wasn't to happy about it.

Rockhunter, the 'spoiler' used to like to take the first wave back to the beach and leave me out by myself and not being a good swimmer it did not take many tries before I got rid of the 'spoiler', no leg ropes then. Think about it today, but we were bullet proof and there were not as many sharks around in the water then. :lol: :lol: :lol: The car was just a Cooper, not the Cooper S, they came out not long after I purchased this one.

Graham

You lot were spoilt,we never had tuck shops at school in Hull,if we were hungry we had to bully other kids and take there snap off them :eek: and what is a milk bar?never heard of them.my favourite sweets as a kid were ufo's flying saucer shaped things full of sherbet,not sure if they were available in Australia?

Eldorado said:
snafu said:
Licking windows said:

Jeff
Snafu,Some mates and I were doing the same thing until the shopkeeper started putting an "X" on the bottles before putting them out the back of the shop.We grabbed some from his backyard one day and took them in for a refund."Finally caught you ,you little buggers" he said.Mum and Dad ended up buying his house years later and he remembered me and dobbed me straight in to Mum and Dad.Dad just laughed, but Mum wasn't to happy about it.

Eldorado, I had all sorts of 'get rich quick' schemes as a kid, some were legit, but most involved scamming somebody. An old bloke down the road had heaps of birds in aviaries in his back yard and he had problems with mice, so I offered to become chief exterminator for threepence per mouse caught and presented. He let me dispose of the rodents, but little did he know that more often than not, I presented the same mouse over and over until it started to stink and then I started the process again.

Jeff

snafu said:
Eldorado said:
snafu said:
Licking windows said:

Jeff

Eldorado, I had all sorts of 'get rich quick' schemes as a kid, some were legit, but most involved scamming somebody. An old bloke down the road had heaps of birds in aviaries in his back yard and he had problems with mice, so I offered to become chief exterminator for threepence per mouse caught and presented. He let me dispose of the rodents, but little did he know that more often than not, I presented the same mouse over and over until it started to stink and then I started the process again.

Jeff

We had a cracker of a get rich scheme going as kids, we would go down to the newsagent and buy a book of raffle tickets ( not sure if ya can still buy them there) and we would go around knocking on doors asking people if they wanted to buy a few and support some cock and bull organisation ie the cfa , local church ect telling them there was a great prize on offer :Y: ;)
Of course it was a load of :poop: we made some good coin out of it as kids until my mum found me with all this cash and a half filled in raffle ticket book :N: and ya wouldnt believe what she did then, she actually went out and purchased a prize out of our hard earned and drew out a winner! 8.(

East hull lad said:
You lot were spoilt,we never had tuck shops at school in Hull,if we were hungry we had to bully other kids and take there snap off them :eek: and what is a milk bar?never heard of them.my favourite sweets as a kid were ufo's flying saucer shaped things full of sherbet,not sure if they were available in Australia?
Hey whats happening East Hull? Wouldnt say that we were spoiled, Id put it down as living in the lucky country. :Y: :)
A milk bar is like a corner shop and they didnt sell a hell of a lot just ya basics. :perfect: but for us kids it was a little goldmine full of lollies, chocolate, milkshakes, firecrackers and if ya had a good one there would even be a pinball machine. :D
And I bet there was always one kid in particular whose mum would make the best lunch in the world and he was always the centre of attention for a good old fashion stand over and touch up if he didnt hand over the goods? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Going great thanks mate,hope you are too.thanks for clearing the milk bar up,never heard of one before.yes mate there was always a couple of kids who never wanted for nothing and had the biggest lunchbox going.i picked on one kid once he was a proper salad dodger and took his snap coz I was starving.big mistake on my part as little did I know he was a pikey,the next day after school had finished half off his caravan site were waiting for me at the school gates.luckily I escaped out the front entrance.I faked illness for a couple of weeks so I didn't have to go to school. :Y: them were the days :)

East hull lad said:
Going great thanks mate,hope you are too.thanks for clearing the milk bar up,never heard of one before.yes mate there was always a couple of kids who never wanted for nothing and had the biggest lunchbox going.i picked on one kid once he was a proper salad dodger and took his snap coz I was starving.big mistake on my part as little did I know he was a pikey,the next day after school had finished half off his caravan site were waiting for me at the school gates.luckily I escaped out the front entrance.I faked illness for a couple of weeks so I didn't have to go to school. :Y: them were the days :)

Yeah Im not to shabby at all! Keep your eyes open as there is still the odd milk bar around but unfortunately there days are numbered :N: now its your turn to explain something, but whats a pikey ? Is it pommy slang for trailer trash as the yanks call em :(

Licking windows said:
East hull lad said:
Hey whats happening East Hull? Wouldnt say that we were spoiled, Id put it down as living in the lucky country. :Y: :)
A milk bar is like a corner shop and they didnt sell a hell of a lot just ya basics. :perfect: but for us kids it was a little goldmine full of lollies, chocolate, milkshakes, firecrackers and if ya had a good one there would even be a pinball machine. :D
And I bet there was always one kid in particular whose mum would make the best lunch in the world and he was always the centre of attention for a good old fashion stand over and touch up if he didnt hand over the goods? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow that brought back some childhood memories :lol:

Smoky bandit said:
Licking windows said:
East hull lad said:
Wow that brought back some childhood memories :lol:

And how good were the old style real lollies smoky bandit? :Y:
Not like the :poop: they call lollies today. :N:

we rode our push bike into town about 3 miles and get a bag of broken bikkies for thrippence the bag would have held 4 tallies in those days in the bush all arnots biscuts arrived in a tin about 2 gallon size ie tin of teddy bears tin of arrowroot shop was not allowed to sell broken biscuts so into the paper bag they went you ordered what you wanted ie 20 teddy bears 10 arrowroot they were counted out off the open tin food safety would have a fit today ahh the bad old days :)

Latest posts