Nundle again

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hit nundle for 3 days.. spent one day chilling and fishing. Lol drinking beer.. ran about 30 buckets through the the pocket sluice .last times hole petered out quickly but found a new one that paid really well for only 6 buckets.. car played up so i had to bail.. lucky i missed the storm.. ill be back up there if i dont go straight to inverell.. cheers all
1447739176_2015-11-17_16.34.57.jpg
1447739192_2015-11-17_16.33.56.jpg
1447739221_2015-11-17_16.32.12.jpg
Sorry i double posted these pics in my other thread

the nice big stuff is there.. 8) I wonder if a better sluice may have snagged some very fine gold as well.. :p top effort mate.. you are onto a great spot..

Test panned ny tailings and it was pretty negligible. . Couple of tiny colours. these pocket sluices are amazingly effective :cool:

Oh yeah no hi bankers by the way...had a good chat with a local council guy...tamworth city council have drawn a line in the sand with them and said no pumps.. im pretty sure it wouldn't hold up in court but in respect to the locals i reckon its not worth it... i asked him whether i could legally use a lay flat hose as a siphon to run my sluice down the bank. He aaid he couldnt see why not... pfft crazy . But thems the rules. You can bank in hanging tock state forest though with appropriate permits.
A lot of people express concern about a bloke up there whos received a fair bit of attention online... i cant be bothered with writing anymore about nundle guy. Its a beautiful town and his attitude is completely at odds with the rest of the town who love prospecting and prospectors... the tourist info centre will draw you maps.. besides that all of the tsrs and crown land is fairly accessible. Shut gates if you open them etc etc.. i hate seeing the negative attention that the place receives.. hope this helps someone...

Me either to be honest . its something to do with stream turbidity and sediment into the creeks that feed the dam...i dont get it. most of us sluice or bank into a gravel sump anyway...i fish and know most of you guys too... but its funny how much effort goes into protecting trout(an introduced pest -i love them though but i rarely return them to the water if i can eat them without waste). In reality theyre just as bad as redfin and carp..I would be surprised if you got taken to court but i know the locals strongly disapprove of bankers.. but they have no jurisdiction in a state forest... hahaha over government in action... not looking to start any debate but thats the way it is at nundle... just use your layflat and siphon to feed the hungry banker
As a side note just got back from there..
Refilled my hole for the third time even though i havent dug it in the last three trips.. ppl must think we knew something. .. we did... we cleaned that hole with a toothbrush almost...got all the good ore .im sick of putting rocks back in there lol. this trip was really tough half a gram for 1.5 days hard slog and mild heatstroke. :cool:

Myazma said:
I didn't think local councils had that 'right'.
They do if they are the land managers even if it is crown land. On the TSR's it would be up to Local Land Services as they manage TSR's. State Forests are managed by Forestry Corporation of NSW so it's also up to them.
Remember they can stop you going on there all together as we must have the land owner, land manager or leaseholders permission to enter onto land to prospect. The pumps are a mute argument - don't abide & they can just take the right to prospect there away or more to the point the legal access.

So the fossicking reserves would be managed by Tamworth council with their own individual bylaws but these local bylaws are then reinforced/enforced by State waterways officers. I still don't understand the mentality in comparison to places such as Oallen Forde

I am assuming if a council employee told madfisher Tamworth City Council have drawn a line in the sand then most likely yes the council do manage the local fossicking reserves.
The State Waterways Officers would more than likely be acting under a different juristiction - the endangered Booroolong Frog?

Lol all i know is theres plenty of colour.ive spent a bunch of time up there these laws are so complicated. .. dont wanna open up a can of worms on this topic... between rangers council waterways officers even they know its craziness. . If you want to bank at nundle use a siphon to feed it eoth water..with no venturi to increase flow. just make sure no gravel goes through your inlet thats dredging :cool: im not exactly sure about litres per minute through 2 inch siphon but its a lot too much for my pocket sluice .priming it solo is hard though. Cheers all.. and best of luck.

Latest posts