Nugget Finder 15 spoked

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Taking a day off for research as its gonna be a stinker today. (40+ Vic) I bought a 15 inch spoked evo last week from Bendigo ML and am struggling to get used to it. SOOOO different to the 11 inch commander in terms of signal response (got a .85 nug and was convinced it was trash by the sounds) but that's all I've found. The guy at Bendigo told me to reduce gain and Stab. Reduce from what? Factory? Also finding it difficult to pinpoint with this thing. Hovering over the target I think I've got the general area but more often than not its to the left of where I think it is. Wheres the sweet spot on this thing? I obviously need to experiment and play with this thing a bit more. I've been running it in quiet audio I like how quiet it runs. Generally running factory gain and stab. Also when I found this .85 I had it manually tuned to the GM frequency of 47. I've been detecting since October and have found 10.5 grams so far. (is it just luck?) Mostly in the Castlemaine area. Am keen to try new places. (Thoughts on Maryborough?) Best nugget so far was a 4.5. All of my gold except for the .85 I've found with the commander. Still struggling to learn this machine. (GPX 4500) Only settings I usually play with are the gain and stab. Only recently started with audio settings. What have you guys found to be a happy medium for this coil? Also detecting on hot bloody days. Is it futile heading out in 29+ conditions? Is there fine tuning required for these days? I mean I don't know. I've watched Aussie Gold Hunters and they are in WA in 40+ and find gold. I have never found a nugget after 1pm hence my confusion. I have another week before I head back to work and would be more than happy to spend some time with someone more experienced on this machine to help me understand this complex bugger. I'm probably heading back out tomorrow. As a trade off for payment for helping me I will take you to the areas I've found gold. (Any Takers?) Thanks in advance guys.

If it's not running quiet enough then reduce gain from whatever it's set at, don't get too caught up in the numbers. Also turn stab down to smooth threshold.
Don't be afraid to turn gain down a fair bit.
If you're not alreadyyou can also run it in enhance and not normal timing, this will cut the ground noise a lot, although it will give more emi.

I'm not a fan of running in quiet audio, you lose a lot of the edge of the signal and have to swing right over the target to hear it, in normal audio you hear the faint change earlier as you approach the target, this might also help pin pointing. I'd rather turn the gain down than run in quiet audio.

Re pin pointing with a decent sized coil, if you have the room roughly locate the target then kick it around with your foot until you've isolated it with only a small amount of dirt left with it.
I would have thought the sweet spot would be right in the centre.

Thanks Jarrod that's what I thought centre but it always seems to be left of centre. Strange. I used the quiet Audio the other day as it was quite hot and it made the machine a lot more stable. The bullets LOL that i found running on quiet were quite loud.

Is it a new 45 or older 45 my new 45 audio is always in normal.With the RX and GAIN I am using 9 on both as far as pinpointing all flat wound coils are hard to pinpoint with.Late morning on very hot days the detector starts to chatter a bit .. Once you get the correct setting they run like a dream just work slow.
vol lim 18
mot slow
rx 9
tone 43
stab9
sign 18
target vol 11
res inv
tack med
switch
coil rx M
GB fixed
soiltimig enhanced
search mode deep
these are what I use with a booster regards john :)

Its the new 45. Came with the 2 11 inch coils mate. So you run in tracking John? Ive always used fixed as that was the advice given to me

RobboChasinYella said:
Thanks Jarrod that's what I thought centre but it always seems to be left of centre. Strange. I used the quiet Audio the other day as it was quite hot and it made the machine a lot more stable. The bullets LOL that i found running on quiet were quite loud.

Yeah the response in quiet is almost just as loud as long as you swing right over the target. It's all personal preference, you have to be comfortable with your setup.

I run the 11" commander and 17 X 13 evo so similar setup. Evo definitely needs a bit more tuning to get it stable but I love it, only plan to take it off when the scrub get too thick.

Latest posts