NT Northern Territory information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived up there for a few years too and like you said wish I new what I knew now, id definitely use my spare time in the territory more effectively. As you well know the main sport was power drinking for most of us :)

The gold associated with Jabiluka occurred with the high grade uranium ore (uraninite), and was very very fine, we're talking micrometres here. Don't think your detector would find too much there, probably better off looking for a gold only mine in the area that has coarser gold. Plus the fact that it is an unconformity style deposit, with the gold confined to strata bound areas of mineralisation under the surface, it doesn't outcrop.

Just letting you know that if this area is in Kakadu
weather or not you have permission from aboriginal people
Of the area you are still in a national park YOU ARE SUBJECT TO FINES
Metal detectors are illegal in KNP and so is any kind of ground
Disturbance
Sorry to put a dampner on the trip
Digit

Yep
Go online you can compare prices of stores in Au and around the
world
There is a club in the NT called NT Paners Detectors and Sluicers
or something like that
This mob forte for the same rights as WA has for fossickers

Time to set one up with all the hype and hope of treasure on the beaches, I am sure you have heard of the 1763 cannon found on Dundee Beach earlier this year, it has to be the find of the millennium. It would be enough to make me want to go out and buy one. Not sure if the latest model has an inbuilt croc repellant though.

Do a google search and check it out if you haven't already done so, imagine finding that... :D :lol: :D

Mystyk59 said:
With the new laws that came into play last year , access to crown land is now a lot easier. You now have to fill out a "Notice of Intent" and send it to the pastoralist or exploration license holder for them to receive 7 days before you enter the land. The pastoralist can only refuse if they are mustering in that area at that time. If they are unreasonable there is an appeal procedure in place now. No fossicking license is required any longer in the NT. Looking forward to meeting up with some of you in the future here :cool:

Hi Mystik,

I am a local and have been intending to contact the local club to get a full run down on the rules but for the sake of ease and the enlightenment of other forum members do you know if you need a "Notice of Intent" if you already have permission to fossick on the land?

Cheers

Hi Mystyk59 I was out at mad micks xmas day week from mount isa :) flies were bad only found some in pan may go back when it cools down some again .

hi guys
heading up to darwin in march to visit the relatives, gonna be taking the garrett at pro int up with me, anyone got any locations they might be able share to detect coins/relics or even the odd bit of gold, i have a block of land out at dundee beach dunno if its worth going for a drive any input will be appreciated.
cheers DH :)

was doing some research and found this on nt gov mineral site sorry for the crazy amount of text but i only chose a snippet of the 135 page report
In the Pine Creek Orogen, FH Litchfield made the first
discovery of gold in 1865 in the Finniss River area (Jones
1987). Shortly after, in 1868, specks of gold were found
at Tumbling Waters. These early finds did not have
immediate economic benefits. It was the discovery in 1870
of coarse gold near Yam Creek that resulted in the first gold
rush and discoveries at Pine Creek, Union Reefs, Cosmo
Howley, Mount Todd, Fountain Head, Zapopan, Spring
Hill, Brocks Creek and Woolwonga. Production from
these deposits commenced soon afterwards and continued
until 1915,
this will be a interesting holiday i think :D

Looking for somewhere to go and have a go at gold panning in the territory! We are just outside of Darwin but willing to travel! Went for a drive down to pine creek today but can't find any information! Seen a few sites that looked good but also seen a fair few established crocodile gold mines too. Any advice??

Hi Mirandalane and welcome to the forum.

I have not prospected in NT but lived there for a couple of years. I recently read Doug Stones "metal detecting for Gold in Australia". It had a good section on the NT's more prominent gold fields with pretty accurate maps and directions. From memory Pine creek was the closest one to Darwin although I may be wrong. Don't be put off by the metal detecting title of the book either, they are all old alluvial workings and a few hard rock mines so head out there, find a creek / dry gully and have a blast.

Look forward to seeing how you go

Saw some guys panning on the side of the road at Pine Creek last week. They were in a small waterhole on the way out of town at a railway line culvert. The streets didn't look like they were paved with gold, so I suspect they dug the dirt elsewhere, possibly from the shallow workings to the north of town that caught my eye, but I could be wrong.

I was looking for some info in town but there was a complete absence. Keep searching, I'm sure someone has documented something.

A good site is Finders Forum ...
A lot of stuff about The Territory....
I have just spent a bit of time reading ....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Latest posts