NSW Crown Road access

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.lpma.nsw.gov.au/crown_lands/leases/leases

If its under management/tenure such as trusts, LHPA etc. or under lease you need permission. Land under management gives the right for the managers to approve land use/activities & leased crown land gives the leasee exclusive rights to the land use. Thats why getting prior permission makes it both lawful & respectful.

To give you another perspective of a similar incident I had, I went to the Lands Dept in Goulburn to find out what was and wasn't vacant crown land in and around Tuena.
I was told by the lands dept staff that they don't give that information out, but if I give them the lot and DP No they can then tell me if it is vacant.
I then contacted the NSW Trade & Investment
(Crown Lands) made under the Government Information (Information
Commissioner) Act 2009 (GIIC Act) where you can request the information your after thru the freedom of information act.
It has taken two months so far but they are looking into it and may have the information I'm after soon as I had a phone call today asking if I still wanted to proceed.

With the recent fires around our area also we had the fireys even complaining about getting into the fire trails that used to be open to the public but now locked up by National Parks and changed to SCA.

I have also found out why the National Parks are locking up previous crown land and changing it to State Conservation Areas it is because if it is changed to National Park it can't be used for anything but by keeping it as SCA it can be leased to mining companies if need be in the future or it may have an exploration lease over it already.

My argument with the crowns land people with was that recreational fossicking creates far less damage than any mining company opening a mine or even doing exploration drilling and associated works.

mbasko said:
It's a complex area that was once a gold mining town. It contains areas of common land managed under trust, intermingled private land & then other crown land parcels including the one I was told isn't under management. I tried getting some contact details for the common trust but no luck yet. Next time I'm out that way I'll stop at a house & see if I can get some more info. Just don't want to go barreling in waving land dept docs about upsetting anyone. Going by the size of the locality I would assume most if not all landholders are members of the common trust so I should be able to find something out or get run out of Dodge :lol:
Just need to tread softly & see what happens I think. From other reports on the area I have heard the common trust aren't all that fussed on allowing access onto the common land areas.

Yes . Tread softly and take it slow to hopefully obtain access , if we push too hard they will lock out everyone

The area is the same one I went to .

I was tempted to go and ask the local cop for his opinion on the crown land that "disappears" behind some blokes "no trespassing" signs but thought better of it .

Softly softly spanky monkey . Lol

sjy120 said:
To give you another perspective of a similar incident I had, I went to the Lands Dept in Goulburn to find out what was and wasn't vacant crown land in and around Tuena.
I was told by the lands dept staff that they don't give that information out, but if I give them the lot and DP No they can then tell me if it is vacant.
I then contacted the NSW Trade & Investment
(Crown Lands) made under the Government Information (Information
Commissioner) Act 2009 (GIIC Act) where you can request the information your after thru the freedom of information act.
It has taken two months so far but they are looking into it and may have the information I'm after soon as I had a phone call today asking if I still wanted to proceed.
Yep its a drawn out process alright but I was able to get info on around a dozen or so crown land blocks eventually. It took me 2-3 months & many emails etc. In the end the breakthrough was pointing out, nicely, that under NSW law I was required to have permission before fossicking on any land & that the NSW fossicking guidelines says to get the info from local council or them. After I showed them correspondence from council saying they didn't have access to crown land status & the relevant parts of the guidelines they then agreed that indeed I did need that information from them. I must say the lady I dealt with was quite good but had to follow internal procedure. By rights she could have charged me $11 per inquiry but waived it as I wasn't a mining company etc.
The whole process was laughable & I can't see why basic status info can't be added to SIX, ArcGIS etc. Would save a lot of drama on both ends.

HeadsUp said:
Yes . Tread softly and take it slow to hopefully obtain access , if we push too hard they will lock out everyone

The area is the same one I went to .

I was tempted to go and ask the local cop for his opinion on the crown land that "disappears" behind some blokes "no trespassing" signs but thought better of it .

Softly softly spanky monkey . Lol

I too was tempted to contact all manner of authority after learning it wasn't under any management & should have been accessible but left it alone - for now anyway. I'll see how things pan out & go from there. At the moment there are other places without the hassle to keep me busy. Disappointing that this type of thing is happening & not just in one area.

mbasko said:
To give you another perspective of a similar incident I had, I went to the Lands Dept in Goulburn to find out what was and wasn't vacant crown land in and around Tuena
The whole process was laughable & I can't see why basic status info can't be added to SIX, ArcGIS etc. Would save a lot of drama on both ends.

DPI NSW are introducing changes in January and others systems releases later in the year

quoting email from them below

The map viewer at http://nswtitles.minerals.nsw.gov.au/nswtitles/ is based on Flex, which doesn't usually work on Apple products like the Ipad

The Department is trying to address the problem you outline. Early in New Year, we will launch a new online web mapping site which is specifically aimed at being functional on mobile devices including apple products as well as desktop and laptop computer. It will have all the titles data, as well as a lot of other geological and base data information, and will have a "go to my location" button. The new site is currently in build and testing phase. We are also totally redeveloping MinView to make it fully functional on mobile platforms, but this is not due to be completed until the end of next year.

Latest posts