NSW Crown Road access

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I just signed the campaign: Transparency for sale of unformed roads in NSW.

Could any concerned forum members also add your name to this important issue?

From http://www.communityrun.org/petitio...vernment-s-plan-to-sell-unformed-roads-in-nsw website:

"Why is this important? On 30 August 2012, the NSW government announced it would accelerate the sale of unformed public roads. It is understood that there are some 9,500 applications to purchase such roads awaiting decision, with more expected. In most cases, the applications are made by private landholders seeking to purchase roads adjacent to their property.

While many of these roads lead nowhere and are of little use, many others provide the only means of access for the general public to otherwise difficult areas to reach as part of their outdoor pursuit.

The sale of such roads is of concern to bushwalkers, anglers (for whom these roads frequently provide the only means of access to sections of public waterways), and people who enjoy kayaking and other outdoor activities.

Needless to say, once sold, these roads will be virtually impossible to get back. What will we do then when faced with "road closed" signs and fees for access?"

The sale of these roads & other crown lands will impact on prospectors/fossickers also as I am sure there would be people using these roads/lands to access waterways etc. If they are closed for fishing access then they are closed to us too!

More info:
http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/crown-roads-sell-off-to-block-angler-access

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/campaign-to-oppose-crown-roads-sell-off-gains-momentum

Signed and set as a sticky.

I would like to suggest everyone gets behind this cause, the form is simple and takes less than a minute to complete.

Done.

Thanks for the heads-up on this issue mbasko! Very important that we don't get yet another hurdle to deal with. It's already a battle to access most areas so we don't want another nail in the prospecting coffin.

Cheers,
Shauno.

http://www.lpma.nsw.gov.au/crown_lands/roads
http://roads.crownland.nsw.gov.au/#results

Update: The NSW Government now has an online database of proposed Crown Road Closures. This allows you to check out proposed closures for your area & access information on submissions so it is easier to lodge an objection if any closures will affect recreational access etc. This has been the result of a sustained push from various recreational groups such as fishers & fossickers.

The petition in the initial post is over now. Thanks to those that signed it & the various recreation type groups that pushed we at least now have an online database to check on submissions for closure which will make it easier to object to closure of those roads still being used for recreational purposes. If you missed the ads in the local paper before there was no other way to check or no way to check on an area of interest if it was outside of your locale.

interesting thread

i spent a few hours looking for a fire trail that shows on Hema topo maps , yet i couldnt find it on the road where its marked starting from

It appears to have been blocked off and i cant access the river i wanted to get to.

I phoned the adjacent property owner who said no trespassing permitted , even though the maps show a strip of "crown land" running next to his property.

He mentioned shooting anyone that he saw crossing "his" land

i believe that threatening to kill is a criminal offense

Sorry for the confusion mbasco, I didn't notice how old the thread was

Heads up, that's insane behaviour from the landowner. They have a right to protect their property but they do not have a right to threaten violence. This isn't the US ffs!

Yeah I can see landholders point of view in wanting to take over &/or block off old crown roads that aren't used or don't lead to anywhere/anything but think its unacceptable to allow their closure if they do lead to a recreational area such as a river or possible fossicking location. Maybe he has had a bad experience with people using the road before but that's a pretty extreme & unreasonable response!
I researched an area of crown land & headed out to check it out only to find a closed gate + no trespassing signs on the crown road leading into the area. Sort of buggered up my day out. I contacted the lands department to clarify, thinking it may be now under lease etc., & was told it is still crown land that is reserved for future public use & isn't under the management of anyone. Haven't been back though as I am still wary of going thru gates, especially with no trespassing signs, but it seems it has been illegally signposted anyway. Stealing a term from Loamer here but that's squatocracy at it's best/worst. I'm assuming an adjacent landholder/s have taken it upon themselves to take over the crown land & they may be illegally using it for stock etc. Don't really want to push the issue though either cause if I piss off one local cocky I might shoot myself in the foot for other local areas that might require landholder consent?

mbasko said:
Yeah I can see landholders point of view in wanting to take over &/or block off old crown roads that aren't used or don't lead to anywhere/anything but think its unacceptable to allow their closure if they do lead to a recreational area such as a river or possible fossicking location. Maybe he has had a bad experience with people using the road before but that's a pretty extreme & unreasonable response!
I researched an area of crown land & headed out to check it out only to find a closed gate + no trespassing signs on the crown road leading into the area. Sort of buggered up my day out. I contacted the lands department to clarify, thinking it may be now under lease etc., & was told it is still crown land that is reserved for future public use & isn't under the management of anyone. Haven't been back though as I am still wary of going thru gates, especially with no trespassing signs, but it seems it has been illegally signposted anyway. Stealing a term from Loamer here but that's squatocracy at it's best/worst. I'm assuming an adjacent landholder/s have taken it upon themselves to take over the crown land & they may be illegally using it for stock etc. Don't really want to push the issue though either cause if I piss off one local cocky I might shoot myself in the foot for other local areas that might require landholder consent?

I understand your hesitation but by the sounds of it they are the ones doing the wrong thing. Perhaps contact the owner to get their side of the story? Perhaps you can forge a rapport and come to an agreement, if it's a small country town then that can only be a good thing as word travels fast and if a local supports you then you may be able to gain even further access from other locals.

It's a complex area that was once a gold mining town. It contains areas of common land managed under trust, intermingled private land & then other crown land parcels including the one I was told isn't under management. I tried getting some contact details for the common trust but no luck yet. Next time I'm out that way I'll stop at a house & see if I can get some more info. Just don't want to go barreling in waving land dept docs about upsetting anyone. Going by the size of the locality I would assume most if not all landholders are members of the common trust so I should be able to find something out or get run out of Dodge :lol:
Just need to tread softly & see what happens I think. From other reports on the area I have heard the common trust aren't all that fussed on allowing access onto the common land areas.

I was under the understanding that Joe Public has the right to access crown land assuming it is done legally and in a respectful way.

At Oallan Ford, the access to Crown land on the southern side has been restricted do to the Fort Knox fencing by both land owner and Sydney Water Authority, in saying that I was told by a local that there is still access via an unlocked gate (not advertised) as total access can not be stopped.

I have seen the gateway but personally not been game enough to enter due to respect of someone private property and the fact I don't like the thought of a red hot lead slug ripping through me, don't like the sight go blood, especially when it's mine..

Latest posts