Notka RS pinpointer information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Have just purchased one if these for the missus to use, has some good features, and a good alternative to the big brand pinpointers at a much reduced cost. Build quality is good, but not quite on par with the propointer/find, but that is expected for the price, it has a lower profile than the pro-find and fits in the hand better. The sensitivity I would say is better than my pro-find surprisingly, it has a similar proximity beep to the pro-find, 360 degree detection, led light with light sensor so it only comes on in low light, or if you put your finger over the sensor. One button operation for beep only or vibration only, and it calibrates on startup, the detecting tip is waterproof. It came with a 9volt battery and nice belt clip leather pouch, will update on how it fares in the field. :)

Pricing was around $137 with free worldwide shipping, or can be had cheaper if you throw in an offer. (Possibly for under $120)

1385046285_img_20131119_211330.jpg

I took this down to the beach today at dusk, and found it worked quite admirably on the few targets I picked up, some of them quite small (half of a mini zipper in damp sand). The LED light is not quite as bright as the Pro-find's, but still pretty good in the dark. What I do really like about it is the handy clip on pouch, and how low profile the pinpointer is, you'd barely know it was on your hip. Just need to get a lanyard or something similar to what is on my Pro-find so I don't lose it or leave it behind. A great second pinpointer or backup unit if you aleady have a pro-find or propointer and don't want to outlay the extra cash. I believe $200 plus shipping for a pinpointer is a bit rich in Oz, considering that could be put towards a detector purchase. ;)

I have had this particular pinpointer for about half a year now, and considering the purchase price and cheaper build quality than the two main rivals, it has done me proud. The Nokta is quite loud which is great for when wearing heaphones, the vibration is way more pronounced than my profind, which is great for night work when you want vibration only mode for less attention. It has been in salt water, even the speaker has copped water on a few occasions, but has worked flawlessly once dried out (not recommended though). The light sensor is great for saving power, so the LED is only on at night (or of you put your hand over the sensor), and have had absoutely no issues with the switch, which has a rubber protective cover.

The only downsides so far are that the 9 volt battery fit is quite a snug fit, making it a little difficult to shake it out, and it can cause falsing on my PI Infinium if too close, but doesn't make it go crazy. The battery door is a slide on plastic cover, that is less than water proof, so not recommended for water dunking.

On the other hand, the profind so far has had troubles undoing the cap at times ( too tight makes it hard to undo, too loose and the 9 volt battery sometimes does not make proper contact), it eats batteries more than the Nokta, sometimes the LED flashes off and on, and sometimes it won't signal at all when first turned on. The vibration from the Profind is not very pronounced, the Nokta fares much better in that respect. The only real advantages over the Nokta is that it is PI friendly, and will not cause any falsing, plus the casing is more sturdy and water resistant.

As a result, my Nokta is now my primary pinpointer for detecting, and the Profind has been relegated to PI detecting only.

1398959543_img_20140502_010857.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Nokt...US_Metal_Detectors&hash=item2c722d4832&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RS-Pinpo...tector_Accessories&hash=item19ec7a7e27&_uhb=1

Aussiedetectors are meant to be an agent for Nokta gear, but I bought mine direct from the manufacturer in Turkey off ebay. I used the seller "ilhaninci", who has plenty of good feedback, postage was also very quick. Put forward an offer, and you may get it a lot cheaper than the list price, possibly down to $120au. Also comes with a holster and 9v Duracell battery. I have been in contact with them in the past over the warranty claim procedure (nothing wrong with pinpointer, I was just curious), and they were extremely helpful in replacing or fixing any issues that may crop up. I could have bought locally, but if there were any issues, it would just be sent back to the manufacturer anyway. It's a good option over the profind and propointer, and at substantially less cash. It is also just as sensitive, if not more so than the profind. :)

Latest posts