Not happy Jan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My father was telling me about an article in the Daily Advertiser about some holes being found on a local sports ground in Wagga.They are being blamed on detectorists,after seeing the photo (can't read the article as it requires subscription) I am not too sure about the detectorist theory,did they take the plugs with them? If it was detectorists,it just reinforces the fact that one has ruined it for those of us that do the right thing.Mayor Greg Conkey is not happy Jan.FILL IN ALL HOLES.
1570971653_image.jpg

metal detectorists wouldnt take the plugs with them ?

It could have been one of those Mayors who collect lawn plugs ?

Of course i wouldnt make baseless assumptions without solid evidence to give it credibility.

CreviceSucker said:
metal detectorists wouldnt take the plugs with them ?

It could have been one of those Mayors who collect lawn plugs ?

Of course i wouldnt make baseless assumptions without solid evidence to give it credibility.
Agreed crevice sucker,why would you take the plug with you?Probably someone who lives close by and has seen someone detecting there and is out to discredit detectorists.Seems that the Wagga council are doing exactly that (making baseless assumptions without solid evidence).

Gday

Yes definitely looks like the plugs were taken, but why would you do that?, very strange and as Eldorado said maybe a local trying to discredit the detectorists who visit there, some people think that because something like a park or reserve is on their doorstep they have the right to challenge anybody using it, they have probably had a go a someone who has told them to piss off (like you would) so they have decided to make the scene of holes in the park very obvious.

I have been told by people that it was illegal to detect on beaches and in parks several times, I simply ask them where the signs are and what council bylaw they are referring to?, and in some cases have told them to mind their own business, as I know that I don't leave any permanent damage, when detecting grassed area I just use a pointed probe which takes more effort a times but leaves little obvious disturbance of the grass.

One time while detecting a park open area I saw another detectorist appear at the other end of the park, as he was well away from me there was no issue, but a short time later I happened to look over in his direction and saw that he was using a prospecting pick to dig holes in the grass, on seeing this I decided to move on so that I would not get the blame for the damage he was doing, in hindsight I should have approached him and put him straight, maybe he didn't know better or maybe simply didn't care?

cheers

stayyerAU

Mrs S says golphers.
They practice using multiple holes
1571011191_screenshot_2019-10-14-09-57-17.jpg

they make nice round holes in turf
1571011253_screenshot_2019-10-14-09-57-05.jpg

like to play outdoors
1571011294_screenshot_2019-10-14-09-57-30.jpg

have 5 hole practice putting greens
1571011368_screenshot_2019-10-14-09-57-39.jpg

looking familiar now :eek:
1571011477_screenshot_2019-10-14-10-03-45.jpg

they probly rub shoulders with high flyers and Mayor's too ;) ;)

Even my wife questioned why someone would take the plug.I guess the problem is that they have made up their minds that it is detectorists and the damage to our hobby is done.I got my father to take a photo of the article and send it to me.It appears that they quote "believe" that the damage was done by detectorists.There doesn't seem to be any proof it was,they are just assuming.Not sure when a public park became "private land either.
1571050776_image.jpg

1571050800_image.jpg

I know it won't do any good as the damage to our hobby in Wagga is done but I have sent this email to the editor to have my say.

Sent from my iPad
I would like to relay my disgust at the articles last week about the supposed detector holes left on Duke of Kent Oval which according to said articles are quote "BELIEVED to have been left by detectorists".Your articles don't seem to portray any evidence whatsoever that this be the case.Just baseless assumptions that have done nothing but succeed to discredit the hobby of metal detecting.I understand that this mess "could "have been made by some rogue operators but this is not how 99% of detectorists behave whilst in the pursuit of our hobby.Some evidence to back up your story would have been nice.Did anyone see a detectorist on the oval?This just stinks of someone who is out to discredit detecting and with the help of your articles they have succeeded. A Disgruntled Detectorist.

Latest posts