Working local mullock heaps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would share with you some observations about my local detecting area in southern NSW. I spend three of four mornings every week looking around the old alluvial workings in search for any sign of yellow left by the old timers. The area has been hit quite hard over the years and from what I have been told, it is becoming more difficult every day to find that bit of gold. I must admit that it does teach you patience and perseverance.

It is quite a difficult area to work. Most of the mullock heaps are either overgrown or covered in a deep layer of dead branches and rubbish.
1502613985_img_0247.jpg

Getting a coil close to the ground is hard work and I am sure that a lot of gold is still hidden under the build up of undergrowth and leaf litter. A bit of raking is often required to reveal the potential of the mound. After raking some interesting information about past activities and mullock heap makeup is evident.

In this area, the gold bearing gravel/ clay is generally a yellow/ orange colour.
1502615112_img_0244.jpg

Dark coloured soil or white sandy gravel is normally found close to ground level and has a lower chance of containing nuggets. Red clay and hot rocks appear to form another layer in the soil profile and do nothing but upset the detector. I spend some time on the lighter gravels and dark soil but avoid the red dirt like the plague. I mostly focus on the yellow/ orange material.
1502615201_img_0248.jpg

People are creatures of habit and there appears to be consistent themes in relation to the makeup of a mound. On many of the piles, the higher gravels/ topsoil appears on the uphill side of the mullock heap. When you think about it, the reason is obvious. When digging a shaft, the last thing a miner would want is rainwater running down the slope and into the hole. Therefore the first material taken out would be used to construct a bund to divert water before it becomes a problem. This results in much of the deeper gravel being deposited on the downhill side. Often the first of the gold bearing clay/ gravel is deposited in one small area on the mound. This material was ingnored by the early miners as they were after the rich pay layer at the bottom of the old river bed. Evidence of this material being removed at a later date (possibly during the depression years) exists on many mounds. The material has been benched out and removed for processing.

1502616554_img_0252.jpg

Detecting around this area sometimes produces a small surprise.

Not all mullock heaps follow this theory and I find that the safe thing to do is detect everywhere.

The final photo is the one that softens the expectations.
1502616910_img_0242.jpg

Evidence that someone else has been there with a detector. The hope is maybe they were lazy or the hole was dug a long time ago with a lesser technology. What it means is there is good chance that the big bits may have been grabbed. Regardless, the next step is so important. Go low and go slow. Expect the odd small bit and hope that the others who were there before you missed the wow piece.

Cheers for now

Les

Great read, a question......as a prospector are we within our rights to dig the the mullock heap to maybe reveal gold under the top layers??

Thanks for the kind words guys. Hi Gully. Good question, but when you think about it, most of the gold should be reasonably close to the top of the mullock heap. The detector in reality is an electronic shovel that does our digging without digging ( if you know what I mean) So when we leave, we still have a mullock heap for the next person to explore.

Cheers

Les

Hi Lesgold
I have found most of my gold on mullock heaps. I treat them just like other finds in that it is okay to dig into the heap as long as the work is repaired and filled in. If you were to rake down a heap I think it is reasonable to assume that you need to put the dirt back and not damage plants etc. in the process. I have found bits all over mullock heaps; the top, sides and base with obvious signs that others have been before me. Currently I am working one heap at a reef that has produced specimens from the surface to quite deep into the pile. Also from the top to the base. There seems to be specimens scattered every in the heap. Also there is an old detector hole on the opposite side of the very heap that I am working. If you go to the detector section of the forum and open up minelab, then Eureka Gold by Au Fever I have written a bit about my finds. Page 8 to 10 covers my finds on mullock heaps. I am no expert but you may find it interesting. The main information on mullock heap finds starts around 6th of Jan about half way down page 8. Good luck in your search.

Cheers Bob.

Thanks for the info Bob, I will follow up and have a good read. My wife scored her first small piece yesterday. (She did the detecting and I did the raking). That piece came from yellow gravel around a very deep shaft. In contrast, a piece I picked up today was buried in grey gravel around shallow diggings. I think you made a good point about the mullock heap that you are currently working. In that situation, you could expect to find gold anywhere throughout the mound. I suppose the important information that any person should research before detecting an area is to find out what depth/ depths the gold was taken from initially and the makeup of the material holding the gold.

Cheers and thanks again

Les

Great show and tell. I commend you on your perseverance and for taking your time to provide guidance to all the novices prospectors.

Thanks Way2go,

I'm a novice as well. This forum helps us to learn from people who are more experienced, fossick in different areas, use different techniques or have different opinions. What a great way to improve the knowledge base or pick up some new ideas or skills. I encourage people to participate in the forums when they can. PA members are genuinely interested as they all share the same passion. Have a read of bobs endeavours. It's a top example of the dedication, thought and patience that is required to find the elusive yellow.

Cheers

Les

Hi Les
Just an addition to your thread. I did this for another post and I thought that it might be relevant here.
1503032973_mullock_map.jpg

This is a cross-section of the heap that I was working on Wednesday. Calling it a mullock heap was probably not quite correct terminology because there is no hole in the middle. Calling it a 'Reef' or 'Mine' dump may have been more accurate. The trenches and other diggings are twenty to thirty metres East of this pile. I have been to this spot quite a few times and upon finding bits in this spot, I have walked over most of the diggings looking for similar rock types. For the most part the hill is covered in iron stone and red clay. I think this dirt pile may have come from deeper underground. All the specimens have a thin band of dark gold bearing material sandwiched between a greenish grey soft mudstone?? So I am thinking in earlier digging the old timers have hit a small 'leader' and thrown this material out not realising what they were onto until it opened up. So in this case it is reasonable to assume that there is more hidden deeper in the pile as my scratchings have confirmed. Where as with typical mullock heaps surrounding a deep or shallow digging for alluvial gold will generally only produce shallow targets and there is little need to do any deeper digging. So as you said, it is important to do some research and understand what you are looking at, because it will then help you formulate a plan rather than just wandering aimlessly detecting here and there. (As I did when I first started.)

Cheers Bob.

Good stuff Bob. What seems quite simple and obvious is often a bit more complex when you start thinking about it. Looks like you have cracked a good one with this pile. Keep up the good work and continue to keep us all informed. Your commentary and logic makes for some top reading.

Cheers

Les

bob said:

Might be wrong, would not be surprising, like you just a wannabe expert .... but looks like it could be a 'tailings' pile rather than a mullock heap,

Tailings could be from crushing/washed material that had been put through a puddler/crusher before they panned/sluiced it, the tailings are what they piled up.

I usually call them mullock heaps (probably incorrectly) when they're next to (usually) shallow dig holes.

Great write up, thanks.

Cheers Tom.

Thanks Bob, makes good sense. I've found near zip on mullock heaps around a digging (with my 4500), but found two beauties (~3g speccies each) a few years back totally covered in ironstone in a 1m cubed mound that was at least 20m from any diggings. I could tell by their weights. I etched them out and they look great. Old timers would have missed them in dumping and quickly searching through that heap.

Thank you Teemore and BigWave for the positive feedback on the post. When Les Gold started this post, I was starting to do the same thing at my current spot i.e. try to make connections to the spots that I was finding a bit and other spots where I wasn't finding anything. At first I wandered around this reef area trying this heap and that heap not thinking too much about it. Since finding a few bits, I have started to look around at what was there. There are lots of different heaps and there are probably correct terms for each of them but I know them not. There are two or three huge piles of small quartz and rock that appears to be mixed with sand. These produced heaps of trash and only one small specimen. Some assorted dirt piled up around what look like small test holes. These produced one small specimen. Away from the reef there are a number of piles of brown slate like material (no quartz or ironstone) that seems to have been treated in some way. The rock is all a fairly uniform size. Maybe from blasting?? These heaps have only produced trash. Along the big trench are piles of quartz, iron stone and red clay, obviously the dirt thrown aside to expose the reef. Then twenty or thirty metres from the trench there are these two piles of grey material about ten metres apart. It is coarse and there are bits the size of footballs bearing obvious pick marks. The varying size of the material suggests that it has been chipped out in chunks and dumped there and not treated in any way. I found a specimen at the base of one heap and so far about forty from the other. The specimens are all very similar to the ones I posted in the recent show and tell section. I credit the forum with finding my first piece. It was completely encased in brown rock. It gave a very positive signal. At the time there was a thread running about hot rocks that I was following. I cracked the rock open on a bit of quartz and there was my very first piece. If I was not aware via the post I probably would have thrown the rock away. The first specimen found on these piles had no gold showing at first. It took a bit of scratching and rubbing to reveal the gold. So I think it is good to share experiences if it helps someone else. Being involved in the forum has certainly helped me.

Cheers Bob.

Latest posts