Not a bad day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On my way home from the coast I detoured and stopped for a drive around at O'allen. I just wanted to have a look and a test pan but my heart broke. I have left with several bags of rubbish which I know are not from prospectors. How I know this is there was a couple of people who burnt their gazebo the night before and left it there. Also I picked up their campchairs and all of their left over glass. I shovelled someone elses poo tickets and a few other non hygenic things.The point I am trying say who does this?. I am in no way trying to start an argument whatsoever, I am just really disappointed. :(

hat off to you 87Hilux for taking the time & effort to clean up after them :Y:
I especially hate the broken glass I find as it doesn't break down, & of course the volumes of all types of plastic. :100: :poop: I always have extra bags in my vehicle for this purpose.
It is disheartening & it sucks, but at least if we do it, it helps to keep our forests, beaches & camps beautiful, & our access open.

Ded Driver said:
hat off to you 87Hilux for taking the time & effort to clean up after them :Y:
I especially hate the broken glass I find as it doesn't break down, & of course the volumes of all types of plastic. :100: :poop: I always have extra bags in my vehicle for this purpose.
It is disheartening & it sucks, but at least if we do it, it helps to keep our forests, beaches & camps beautiful, & our access open.

I am not going for a medal or anything like that, but if you seen the state of it you would do the same thing. :Y:

87 Hilux said:
On my way home from the coast I detoured and stopped for a drive around at O'allen. I just wanted to have a look and a test pan but my heart broke. I have left with several bags of rubbish which I know are not from prospectors. How I know this is there was a couple of people who burnt their gazebo the night before and left it there. Also I picked up their campchairs and all of their left over glass. I shovelled someone elses poo tickets and a few other non hygenic things.The point I am trying say who does this?. I am in no way trying to start an argument whatsoever, I am just really disappointed. :(

Yeah, I get fed up with seeing the crap some people leave out in the bush, some of it looks like it is locals dumping their trash. Hope I'm wrong, but who would drive that far to dump a trailer load?

I'm constantly amazed at the lengths some people will go to avoiding tip fees. They must spend 20 dollars on petrol to save 8 bucks in tip fees. ??????
Guess it's not the smart ones that trash our bush!

Jaros, No I do not think it would be the "locals" doing it. It is an area that up until about 6 years ago was virtually inaccessible by normal vehicle, the road runs between Braidwood/Canberra/Goulburn to the coast coming out around the Nowra area. It used to be in places single lane dirt track that only the brave would take on and not in wet weather from the Nowra side. From the other side of the river access has always been much easier. There is a small town Nerriga which really only consists of a few houses and a pub, other than that Nowra or Braidwood would be the closest towns at about 1 to 1.5 hours either side. I know that it has always been a popular destination from Goulburn, mostly for motor cycle trail riders. It is a road that has been opened up now with good access from both side of the crossing over the Shoalhaven River, new bridge to replace the old wooden structure that used to go under in the slightest amount of rain. We use the road as our access now to the Hume highway on our way to Victoria.

So most people that come would come from a distance and spend the weekend there and we have been through there on a weekend and during the warmer months there are a lot of campers with fires and the motor bikes, not a place that I would choose to stay if I wanted a nice quiet weekend. Other times there may be one or two looking for gold on the banks. We have often stopped there for a cuppa on the way home and noticed that in places there are huge amount of rubbish left. I assume that the Shoalhaven Council must be the ones to have to clear it normally, if they did not do it then I would hate to think what it would look like after 12 months. It is a large area of river bank where camping is possible, not sure if it is permitted, but there are no waste facilities of any type.

There is a new member that has just joined who lives just across the river from the are where the camping is, he may be able to shed further light.

The only other place that we have been to the I would consider worse was at Yalwal about 15 years ago, west out of Nowra, old gold mining area. Been once, never again, there was rubbish, burn out cars and youth's on motor bikes that abused because you were in their way on the roads.

Graham

The rubbish problem will always be there no matter how much we complain nothing will change

Yalwal
The road or track that leads to the mines has been fenced off at the end of Yawal road to stop 4x4 getting in there but can be bypassed by motor bikes
The police and rangers patrol the area now and a lot of the idiots on bikes and 4x4 have been picked up and heavy fines so that area has quieted down a lot lately

Oallen
Camping up on the river banks has been banned and again the rangers and police patrol that area
Camping is allowed down on the river its self
Oallen is not covered by Shoalhaven council its the far south coast not sure what its called
A lot of young ones get out there on weekends to party and yes leave heaps of rubbish behind some people cant be changed they have been brought up that way
Live in a pig sty then pigs are raised
kids will follow adults if they are pigs then so will the kids be
A lot of the motor bike problems come from the locals in that area yes i know this as i have seen them ripping up the place and where they went after that
There is still lots of gold there you just have to know where to look i never go home without any

Just had a look, it is the Goulburn Mulwaree shire that is responsible for that area, that is why the roads out that way were "better" use that term loosely also.

Ok thanks i heard that they have the western side of the river and have banned ALL veh axcess to that area
and Pambula has the eastern side where all the trouble is
Tathradj did tell me the setup i have forgotten he may like to jump on and fill the blanks on that for us lol
About a k down the road from Oallen towards Nerriga i have been told that is is talks about handing over to the Aboriginal heritage not sure how much of it but i do know there is gold there as well

Ok, did some more checking, Shoalhaven stops short of Nerriga, somewhere around the Endrick river, Goulburn mulwaree apparently has mostly along the Shoalhaven river as the boundary, but at Oallen comes over and covers the areas on the east side and the lump in between that and the Endrick River is the Queanbeyan-Palerang shire. I think from memory there was something about native title when they went to put the new bridge in.

There has been a merger in the area.
The boundaries are half way through the river.
Northern Shire is The Goulburn Mulwaree Shire,
Southern shire is the Queanbyan Shire.
On the eastern side of the bridge, The river bed is
administered by Sydney Water.
There are also some "Sensitive " portions for the
coastal and inland indigenous people.
Oallen is a cross roads in all directions.

When we first started using the road a number years ago the song " Road to Nowhere" by Talking Head always came to mind as at that stage we would probably only meet a couple of cars on the stretch from Tomerong to the Oallen ford, bit different now.

Latest posts