North East Creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a problem

I have been working a small creek in Victoria's North East & have come across an unusual situation
There is a large flat bedrock above where i have been working with water flowing over one side of it.
After investigation i found water coming out from under it
I threw a rock onto the bedrock & it echoed.

I have found gold above & below the bedrock
I am now wondering what is in the hollow void beneith the bedrock

Would i be wasting my time to break up the bedrock to get to the void?
Or should i bring the sledge hammer & crow bar & start smashing the bedrock to get to what maybe underneith ?
I dont want to bring too much attention to myself by smashing rocks
But i would like to see what us there
What do you think??

Regards

Dirty Harry

Sounds like your 'hollow bedrock ' is not really bedrock Harry. Sounds interesting and yep there surely would be gold under it. A good 6ft crow bar should nudge it out the way enough to maybe jam a rock under it to gain access to get a better look. If its promising then I would smash it

Smashing rock is too much hard work and noisy. Try a sling and block and tackle, winch it out of the way ;)

I'd be getting under that thing pronto mate.

Don't die wondering, get in there and have a look.

I'm heading up that way tomorrow, if you don't want to have a look, let me know where it is and I'll move it for ya.

I promise we'll share the spoils. :D

Dirty Harry, can you see the water go under the rock before it comes out? If not then I would be careful when moving it. I've heard that some creeks can flow almost underground so that what you think is the bed of the creek is merely a false top. Busting through it may cause the whole thing to give way.

Don't waste any time and go for it I have had similar situations and been well rewarded for the effort that I have put in. Many a creek has a false bottom, it is all ways worth a look you have nothing to lose. Just be carefull in moving the rocks, as they can be heavy.

Damned if you do,
Damned if you don't
Take the plunge,
1431085019_olde_soccer.jpg

The main issue is the size of the cap rock
It is about 6 feet long & about 4 feet wide
Water flows under the rock from up stream & out from a gap between the cap rock & the bedrock down stream
Years of water flow has undermined the gravel between the bedrock & the cap rock creating what i think is a reasonable sized cavity under the cap rock

I was thinking i could get a hydraulic jack in the downstream gap & lift & wedge the cap rock up until it cracks & breaks or secure it so i could work the cavity

Problem being the nearest land ownwers house is close by, he has already stacked tree logs in the area i used to park in & is clearly unhappy with me prospecting the creek. He is also a retired DPI ranger

I would like to jack hammer the rock but the noise would get too much attention

Regards

Dirty Harry

Take a photo and put it on here.
Make sure you have GPS turned off on your phone.
A picture tells a thousand words. :D
Using a Jack Hammer would be against the laws so all would have to be done manually.
If he is a DPI Ranger, He would know the rules so be careful. If you are indeed in a designated water way and title does not extend to the creek you are in, There is no way any one can stop you from prospecting.
.Maybe a hand operated suction device would help. Bit safer than getting in under a 5 ton rock.

Be a shame if you got bogged by the creek and while using the boulder as a winch point unwittingly dragged it sideways

After a friendly visit from the rangers (2) last week and a conversation about damaging the creek you might want to be careful. The damage in one place by people digging into the bank is extremely bad and the rangers are looking for the persons doing the damage. Using any sort of equipment to move your rock will only invite trouble. I would leave it.
I am assuming you are in the Woolshed Valley somewhere.

Yes it is, but remember that your Miners Right says you must repair any damage to the land arising from the search. Can I suggest that a 6x4 slab may be a little excessive!!! And very difficult to move back again.

DetectaDave is right, especially if one of the locals is an ex DPI. I like Tathradj idea of using a hand suction device, it's safe and has less impact on the area.

Latest posts