No such thing as a flogged area !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystyk59

Bill
Reaction score
Helped make another persons day a good one today, :) Went out to Mad Mick's (the public fossicking area) with a visitor to Tennant( Patrick) and spent 4 hours out there , i got a little speci and following my advice , Patrick got a nice 2.7 gram nugget ! ( Should follow my own advice methinks !!) Someone who we took out there a couple of weeks ago and who has been camping out there got a 15.9 gram speci out there last week. A lot of locals reckon that Mad Mick's has been flogged to death and you dont get anything there , i say WRONG , not yet it hasn't ! So don't listen to people who say its not worth going here or going there, Just because they got nothing , doesn't mean you wont ! Low and slow , scrape that ground and you will pick up what they missed, remember a new skid plate is only 30 bucks ! :cool:

Great stuff Bill, stoked that you're giving some advice to the new comers, and sending them off with a big grin on their face. Like you say mate, no such thing as ground that is completely flogged.

Just need to train those ears and a faint "Ground Noise" quite often turns into a small nug. Keep up the good work, and hope those "Gold Gods" reward you with some huge nuggets as payment for your generosity. :)

Cheers Wal.

Agree - the only gold I have found so far all comes from so called "flogged" areas. Been told a heap of times now - no area is fully flooged until you have gone over it thoroughly yourself. Then you can call it flogged & even then someone will most likely still find something after you've been there. Heavy rains, erosion, technology, patience, thinking outside the square etc. etc. can all lead to unexpected further finds on these areas in my opinion.

Does make me wonder though - if I/we are finding gold in these areas just how much is left for the picking in areas that haven't seen as much traffic? :p (Hey Nugget how's that drool button going?)

Hope this rain stops tomorrow................. starting to get that fever again :lol:

Thanks Wal, they are from NSW so have pointed them in this direction to join this forum, especially as they are also into the gems. They aren't really newbies just new to the Territory so ran him through the regs etc. Just wish i could find all the gram plus ones i keep directing other people to ! haha. I enjoy this though and it makes me look like an expert when they find a nice piece first day out with me ! ;)

Keep up that prerequisite for detecting advice Bill ;) ....tell them that if they don't join the forum, their luck will run out, and all their signals will become pull tabs. :D

Cheers Wal, :)

Good advice, yes there's such thing as a flogged area, "no" that there cant be anymore to find there. I went to a flogged area today and got a .6. Nothing to write home about but it was a faint signal and could have been any size as Iv got some nice bits before that sounded the same in the past.

Yes this particular spot has been gone over a thousand times probably in the last 25 years, that 2.7 g piece was right up against a tree surrounded by dead spinifex, how many people heard it and thought " Rubbish " and ignored it. Or didn't bother to move the spinifex in the first place , i had told him to move the dead spinifex as the ground under it wont have been detected in a while. Always look for the circle of dead black spinifex in the middle of a large clump and detect there !

So what is it about the colour of the spinifex that makes it a good indicator? Like is there a reason for it or just an interesting coincidence?

garnethawkins said:
So what is it about the colour of the spinifex that makes it a good indicator? Like is there a reason for it or just an interesting coincidence?

Well mate,this was in a well detected area that has large clumps of spinifex, i have found that in supposedly flogged areas that have large patches of spinifex , if you get into the middle of these clumps and there is a circle of dead spinifex in the middle that it means that the clump is old and hasn't had a detector over it in a long time and if you move the dead spinifex you will often find gold that is there ! :cool: obviously it needs to be an area that you know gold has come from
Regards Bill
!

interesting observation, will have to remember that and see what it brings,,,,, will keep you all posted

happy hunting
Steve and Lea

That all makes sense.....with regard to "flogged" areas...moving rocks, logs, old spinifex, piles of old mullock should put me on realatively new ground yes????? I am happy to put the work in....I was at some old diggings the other day and noticed some of the piles of rocks had clearly been there a very long time indeed so next time I am going to exercise the biceps and look underneath....
Does anyone else do this ??

dave

not to be flippant - depends on the rocks. I used to sit on quartz dumps years ago with a VLF and just scan rock after rock. Got some good species for my effort. As for removing mullock heaps - that is an interesting topic. If the gold was shallow - that is within detector range - the original surface will be below the mullock. That would count as new ground. However, and its a big however, research may show the wash was at (example) 3 feet and deeper from the surface. Therefore, you have to ask, am I wasting my time. I read a lot of old reports to get an idea where the old fellows found their nuggets and first layers of wash. This then gives me an indicator as to whether I will even bother detecting on an old lead - the ground may simply be too deep and mullock heaps can be hit and miss for throw-outs. I do like your attitude - lots of folk want big gold quick - I have found that methodical prospectors torturing mullock heaps do quite well. The 'mullockers' generally in my observation, never miss getting at least something.

Thanks Loamer....I am encouraged....Its strange but the longer I go without finding any gold the more the desperation to find some fades and the curiosity grows...Its now sort of like trying to solve a puzzle I have been at for ages.....No disapointment at coming home empty handed as I always learn something....

Dave

A few years back we (3 of us ) were detecting a gully just out the back of Heathcote when I noticed my mates had stopped and were digging a large hole on top of a small mullock heap. I went over to watch the fun just as one said to the other, ''we've gone through the heap and are now back in the natural ground". Next check of the hole and the target was out. I thought junk for sure, just as one bloke tossed the offending object to the other & said "nice work''. it turned out to be an 8.5 grammer.

We have several areas around us that are "flogged" but the finds keep turning up.

Thanks

Bazz