Newbie seeking tips & tricks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MozzinAus

Brand New and willing to learn.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was looking for a thread for "Tip" and "Tricks" for a learning base as a newbie.

I've been researching YouTube and have been trying to get an indication on places to look along a river, techniques, ETC.

Are there any specific Threads that I may learn from?

Your advice and instruction would be valued.

Cheers.

Hey guys, I was looking for a thread for "Tip" and "Tricks" for a learning base as a newbie.

I've been researching YouTube and have been trying to get an indication on places to look along a river, techniques, ETC.

Cheers.
Check these threads out:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...mber-alluvial-gold-prospecting-threads.40064/
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/✅-alluvial-help-threads-where-why-how.40063/

Cheers.
I know a lot of younger prospectors have started out by buying a detector, heading off into the goldfields full of hope. I reckon only the greater minority would have to be considered successful with the majority failing to find the rewards they sought.
It is refreshing to hear a newbie keen to learn through panning. I think most of the older members here would have started out in that manner. The skills they learnt doing that have served them well in the search for gold through other means such as detecting, sluicing or small scale mining.
From Taylors lakes you are well situated on the route to the golden triangle. Almost all the rivers and creeks passing through that areas would contain gold.
Look for inside bends, bedrock, cracks, old deposits sitting on bedrock, generally the deepest level of any gravel deposit. etc.
A lot of the gold country in Victoria runs through rocks susceptible to break down into clays so when panning learn how to break up clays as I have found that to be one of the best traps for gold as it embeds in a clay seam as it is washed over it. Even panning off the tops of old diggers heaps can reveal gold colours that no detector can find.
So the search is just not a simple answer to the question "Where do I go", as easily available maps and the internet can guide you there. The question should be how do I get the gold once there.
Good Luck MozzinAus

With regard to where you CAN and where you CAN'T pan for gold head to Earth Resources website and search Exempt Rivers and Streams. Unfortunately for you the tributaries and rivers (along with almost every one) in Victoria are OFF LIMITS. Hawkear is spot on with his comments but it's upto You to know where you can and can't prospect.

Another option is to join the PMAV (Prospector's and Miners Association of Victoria) and get involved with the group closest to you. They have field days and you get the benefit of wisdom and knowledge from people who have been involved for many years. Obviously some will be just like you, new to it all. The PMAV is our state representative lobby group (100% volunteers, free of charge) who lobby the government to ensure us as professional/hobbyists retain access to our gold and gem fields. There's no obligation for you to get into the complexities of the never ending political interference just join up and enjoy the opportunity of gaining knowledge. Yes I was involved many years ago, nonetheless without the PMAV we may not even be able to enjoy the ground we have available, the greens are always happy to lock us out. If you have a strong opinion of the green movement and green government ideology I suggest you join the PMAV, the greens basically amount to a total lockout ideology which is the catalyst for environmental catastrophe imo.

Good luck with your adventures mate 👍 I hope you find colour plus enjoy and protect the environment just like the rest of us 🍻

I found geovic a great tool to find areas that contain gold.

Here is a youtube videos that I found useful as geovic can be a bit confusing at first

Hi Mozzin,

I'm a newer prospector myself, and do a combination of panning, highbanking, and detecting.

Myself and a few friends typically head out for a full day on Saturdays (tomorrow will be in the Daylesford region).

You're more than welcome to tag along at any point (though as the weather gets more wet, I've been focussing on highbanking/panning more) - happy to share what experience I've developed, and have some spare gear that you can use.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you ever want to tag along.

I know a lot of younger prospectors have started out by buying a detector, heading off into the goldfields full of hope. I reckon only the greater minority would have to be considered successful with the majority failing to find the rewards they sought.
It is refreshing to hear a newbie keen to learn through panning. I think most of the older members here would have started out in that manner. The skills they learnt doing that have served them well in the search for gold through other means such as detecting, sluicing or small scale mining.
From Taylors lakes you are well situated on the route to the golden triangle. Almost all the rivers and creeks passing through that areas would contain gold.
Look for inside bends, bedrock, cracks, old deposits sitting on bedrock, generally the deepest level of any gravel deposit. etc.
A lot of the gold country in Victoria runs through rocks susceptible to break down into clays so when panning learn how to break up clays as I have found that to be one of the best traps for gold as it embeds in a clay seam as it is washed over it. Even panning off the tops of old diggers heaps can reveal gold colours that no detector can find.
So the search is just not a simple answer to the question "Where do I go", as easily available maps and the internet can guide you there. The question should be how do I get the gold once there.
Good Luck MozzinAus
Thank you for your informative tip Hawkear. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Latest posts