New to PA from Ballarat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig Iron

Steve Jones
Reaction score
Hi Prospectors - Happy to have just joined Prospecting Australia with a view to getting the knowledge and connections necessary to take up gold detecting around Victoria but more specifically in the central highlands area. My only experience was panning gold in the Yarrowee Creek eons ago as a school boy. The boards forming the base of the Yarrowee were an ideal trap for gold particles. Some 40 years later I have now retired and looking to buy the necessary equipment to launch as a beginner. I have areas in mind around the Ballarat area as a starting point but am so confused about the right weapon to tackle the task. I am not particularly phased by the start up cost but need the right machine to maximise my success taking into account my utter ignorance in gold detecting. Would be happy to hear from others who have launched their prospecting in goldfields and the type of equipment I should look at from a beginner/success aspect.
Thought some of the comment on the Whites GMT seemed to suit me but tuning the equipment seemed problematic. Suspect this will be the case whichever machine I get.
Anyway good to be on board and welcome any input you good people can offer
Regards Pig Iron (Steve) :8

Hi Pig Iron - I am in a similar boat to you but have done lots of homework recently. Been talking to Miners Den and have narrowed down the best detector to use and that is the SDC 2300 which does not let overhead wires interfere with signals and is waterproof up to 10ft, it will find gold down to 2ft depth and it is extremely easy to use. There is of course the GPX 4500 (more difficult to use) which is a lot more sensitive and goes deeper into the earth (if you don't mind digging) but it suffers from interference with electrical overhead wires, etc. There is a start anyway. Have compared a lot of detectors in the past while and this is the best I have come up with. Glen.

Welcome to PA Steve. Given that you're into gold detecting and not particularly phased by the cost, then I'd suggest the SDC2300. It's no hard to learn, and will get you onto the gold quickly (given that you're in the right area). Then get yourself a good miners pick, and plastic hand shovel, and you'll be good to go. For background we always refer you to Loamer's posts on what to look for in the goldfields. The more reading and research you do, the better your chances.

Thanks Glen
It is pretty much where I am heading also. I have just been watching some videos of the SDC and I think for a beginner it has much less noise and easier to use. Given that I will be mainly in hot areas it would appear that its noise cancelling ability and ability to detect smaller pieces puts it high on the list. Let me know how you get on. Cheers Steve.

BigWave said:
Welcome to PA Steve. Given that you're into gold detecting and not particularly phased by the cost, then I'd suggest the SDC2300. It's no hard to learn, and will get you onto the gold quickly (given that you're in the right area). Then get yourself a good miners pick, and plastic hand shovel, and you'll be good to go. For background we always refer you to Loamer's posts on what to look for in the goldfields. The more reading and research you do, the better your chances.
Thanks BigWave - You and Glen are recommending the same detector and from what I have read and the videos I have seen it pretty much fits the bill for a beginner. Thanks for your input.. I am close to purchase so will keep posted. Regards Steve.

Thanks Dam It. It looks like the SDC might just be the answer. A couple of issues I have read is lack of depth and dealing with leaf litter. Leaf litter is easily dealt with but can't do much about the depth I suspect. Anyway looks the goods at this stage. Thanks all for your advice.

Hi pig iron (steve) and welcome to the forum, the sdc is killer on shallow gold and easy to use from all the reading i have dome on it, it was a toss up for me when i was out to buy a gold detector between the gpx 5000 and sdc, i ended up with the gpx4500 because of the choice of different coils and after compromising with my partner but i recon the sdc will serve you well and get gold in your jar fast as long as your in the right area, good luck with it all and let us know how you go with it all
cheers
Jamie

Thanks Jamie - It seems to me that the SDC would be the pick of detectors for my area which is around Ballarat. I was certainly looking at the 4500 however as a beginner it seemed more difficult to tune than the SDC. Also this area has been run over so many times the SDC might just give me some responses missed by other machines. the depth is about the only issue where I can see a slight disadvantage. Cheers Steve

i am a beginner to and yes the learning curve for the 4500 is a bit steeper but i have found gold with it so i guess i am getting there, i think if your area of interest is 'flogged' so to speak the sdc would be a good choice and you can always add to your arsenal at a later date if you feel the need

Hi SDC might be the easiest option but always have depth problems I don't think 4500 would be to hard to learn considering a lot of settings available on forum and net and with new evo coils are deadly on small stuff I just think with a bit more practice you end up with a much more versatile machine without the cost of a second machine.

vstrom said:
Hi SDC might be the easiest option but always have depth problems I don't think 4500 would be to hard to learn considering a lot of settings available on forum and net and with new evo coils are deadly on small stuff I just think with a bit more practice you end up with a much more versatile machine without the cost of a second machine.

Thanks vstrom (nice bike)
This is the dilemma isn't it. An easy to use get up and go detector versus one I can grow into over time. My leaning is still toward the SDC to overcome any frustration of mastering the 4500. I will be detecting around existing goldfields and anything that keeps the noise to a minimum is important. I really don't wan to be covering ground ever thinking that I have passed one over because my detector is not tuned to the ground. Maybe some lessons would help in this regard and I could get these not too far away. It seems that most who have worked this area would prefer the SDC as the ground has been gone over many times. Same as in the GT I would prefer a machine that gets me some gold at least so as to spark the fire. Anyway the cash is still in my pocket and I appreciate your input - the field is narrowed to SDC or 4500.
Thanks

Pig Iron,
Welcome to the forum and the world of prospecting. Lots of good info on here to learn.
Can I suggest if you are undecided as to which detector to purchase, that you do a days training with each machine with Coiltek at Maryborough. This will give you a good idea as to the capabilities of both the 2300 and the 4500 and hopefully steer you in the direction you wish to progress.

http://www.marybroughgoldcentre.com.au/pages/contact-us

PS. I have no affiliation with Coiltek, but they are great people to deal with.
Regards,
Ian

Cheers Ian
Probably best way to go. Only 60k's up the road and may just resolve my issue between the two machines. They are both highly fancied and hard for me to separate.
Thanks Steve

Nowhere near as famous as Pig Iron Bob Ian. Just grabbed that name because "Worst Person At Picking a Gold Detector" was already taken LoL.

Thanks for the manual. I'll have a look at over the next few days. Can you tell me what you are running. I was pretty set on the SDC and now looking also at 4500 or 5000 with 12" NF Evo. Will get to Maryborough to sort this out further prior to purchase.
Sold my motorbike recently for an activity that more closely matches my age!!!!
Regards Steve

Steve,
will send you a personal message.

Look above the forum logo, 4th symbol from the left. It will be high lighted.

Regards

Ian

PS give me a few minutes then check.

Latest posts