New to detecting, going to hill end, need advice.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Really new to the detector game. Live in the ACT and am about to get a new Garrett AT Gold. Have a tiny bit of experience ( not much though) 10 Days in the west in April around Coolgardie, Found lots of junk and a 3 gramer. Had a great time though and caught the bug.
I am looking at trying out the new Garrett close to Canberra and thought Hill End was only 4 1/2 hours drive it might be a good place to start and practice and who knows.
Really don,t know where to go when I get there.
Can anyone be of assistance. I would be mighty grateful :)
Rockerfella

Hey Rockerfella, welcome to the forum.

We've got a few AT Gold users on the forum including myself so there's certainly no shortage of info and advice for that machine.

To my knowledge there's still plenty of gold to be found at Hill End but as I haven't been there for about 14 years I can't really comment on the best places to try. Hopefully some members who frequent the area will be along to assist you with that soon.

Good luck on your prospecting journey and please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Cheers,
Nugget

P.S. In a failed attempt to remove your duplicated post (on a mobile) I accidentally deleted the wrong one, hence the slightly different topic title.

Hey Rockerfella,
We have been out to hill end a couple of times down the bridal track, along the Turon River not sure about detector success but we have found some gold panning and in the river sluice.
Lots of camp spots to choose from, be real cold out there now.

Thanks for the welcome Nuggett, and thanks for the info jenmal. Yep I think your right about the cold but I do live in Canberra so am a bit used to it. You cant avoid it here some days in winter. I might still try and get there though. Maybe book into the pub for the night. Try and pick a weekend that is not raining.
Will keep you posted if I find any gold.
Am waiting the arrival of Doug Stones maps to get a starting point. The bridal track on the map on internet looks like it traverses interesting ground.
Thanks again guys.
Rockerfella :) :)

There is a fossicking area just out of Hill End (Tambaroora). If you get away from the main area I am told there is still nuggets about although I haven't found any out there myself as yet. There is lots of junk about. Have heard stories of them popping up in unexpected spots. Best to have a 4x4 to explore the rougher, harder to get to spots. You can still get something panning etc. in the creeks. The mining company out there don't like people fossicking on their EL's so you need to research areas outside of them or stick to Tambaroora.
There is also Hargraves & Windeyer not too far away that can/have produced in some spots.

Latest posts