New Set up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just acquired my Garrett AT Gold which will be used primary for coin hunting etc on the NSW coast where I live but in addition it is my intention to target some of the yellow stuff from time to time when I visit my mum in the Mudgee area hence the decision to go with this detector. As I have never prospected for gold so have always wondered where you guys go to prospect, not so much specifics but do your own private land to prospect, do you ask permission from land owners or simply pull off the side of the road and take a walk into the bush with your detector. Are there allocated fossicking area's and if so I would presume they would be exhausted? I guess I'm curious where a bloke would go if he wanted to try out his AT Gold somewhere where he might have a chance of some colour. Any suggestions appreciated.

G'day Jack, there are a lot of places in between Lithgow and Mudgee to try your luck, pretty much can do all the things you suggested. In State Forests you do need a permit though, which is easilly obtained from the Dubbo office, just give them a call, it's 20 bucks a year.

Wandering into the bush, just make sure it's not a National Park, they are illegal to fossick in. I have a few friends who own private properties in gold regions I'll be trying this year. So if you know anyone just ask, they will probably let you go for it. Maybe your Mum has a contact or 2 in Mudgee you could ask.

The Bathurst area, Hill End and Sofala are all good places to start, Sunny Corner is near Lithgow and has given up a lot of gold in the past but it's very elusive.

All fossicking areas have been done over, though you can still find gold and gemstones in these places if you persist.

Hi Heatho,

Do you need a permit for ANY State Forest in NSW?

Most of my fiddling is on private property and way out where there are minimal people but there are State Forests all around

regards

Yes, a permit is required from forests NSW.

I phone Bathurst office yesterday, did the paperwork over the phone ,paid the $22 & the permit is in the mail

Easy peasy.

Pete

Thanks so much for the great info, will grab a permit and try my luck. Thanks again for replies, a place to start now.

xobazzip said:
Hi Heatho,

Do you need a permit for ANY State Forest in NSW?

Most of my fiddling is on private property and way out where there are minimal people but there are State Forests all around

regards

It's worth having one, gives you a lot more freedom for places to try, it's the next best thing to private property or crown land.

Latest posts