New Parks may be coming to Central Goldfields. Be Warned!!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This has just be released by Rita Bentley & the PMAV.
If your not a member "JOIN NOW" or possibly loose your prospecting rights for good.
wombat. ;)

PMAV
Published by Rita Bentley 19 mins
We warned you. Not content with the potential of locking up the Eastern half of the State, the Andrews Government has asked the Victorian Environment Assessment Council to investigate land use in significant parts of the Central Goldfields. We can guarantee that if organisations such as the PMAV don't stand strongly against this, there will be new parks. This means that mining will be totally excluded and prospecting very limited or excluded altogether. If you or someone you know is not a member, now is the time to join. http://pmav.org.au/join-pmav

Thanks for posting Wombat, PMAV are the life line for our hobbie / investment to be allowed to continue.

Improve the joining process and I would.
Right now it's a bloody mess.
And do away with the stupid joining part way through the year thing.
Make it a years membership from the date you joined instead of the current system where you pay for a month or two depending on how close to the end of the year you are.

Sorry to rant but I hate it when organisations make you jump through hoops and Download Paperwork to join.

Edit to add..... That reads angrier than it sounded in my head.

LC76 said:
Improve the joining process and I would.
Right now it's a bloody mess.
And do away with the stupid joining part way through the year thing.
Make it a years membership from the date you joined instead of the current system where you pay for a month or two depending on how close to the end of the year you are.

Sorry to rant but I hate it when organisations make you jump through hoops and Download Paperwork to join.

Edit to add..... That reads angrier than it sounded in my head.

LC76 what more important how you join the PMAV or possibly loose your right to prospect in Victoria ?? It is your choose. At the end of the day mate it is numbers that count.
wombat ;)

LC76 said:
Make it easier to join and you might get better numbers?

I agree with this. Downloading. Printing. Writing out cc details and posting.

Too many steps. I see the site has a online option now, not sure when that was added but the complexity and a reluctance to pay that way put me off joining for a long time.

It is of my personal opinion that as I stated clearly in another thread that hundreds of prospectors and fossickers are unknowingly spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on items or products from companies that are producing and publicly selling products that are totally causing anarchy for all of us especially here in Vic which has made the government open their eyes and take notice and yet we including myself still fail to pay just a couple of bucks each year to an organisation that has only our best interest at heart and yet we still are failing them and I for one am sorry for that but there is a saying "that it's better late than never" and if we including myself continue along this way there is no mistaking the foreseen future of our hobby here in Vic .. so I for one am going to follow through with my words and join asap that being Thursday because it would seem that the fun is about to be taken away from our hobby.. Anyway that's something we should all chew on for a while and think about joining no matter how hard it is to join..... otherwise we will all be left with nothing... regards GC77

No mining in Victoria? It's Halloween not April fools. I'll pay no attention to any negative feedback to this statement, the PMAV is a toothless tiger. Now an opinion following that fact. I feel this statement is simply scaremongering to drive membership numbers of an orginisation which has lost its relevance and is devoid of any political clout.

If the PMAV did in fact, matter, in a political sense, rights would be expanding not staying in stasis or possibly receding. I am not suggesting it poorly lead or unorganised, simply it is not relevant enough.

Mining will never cease. Period.

I just downloaded and printed the form, but it would sure make it a lot easier if you could do the whole thing online.

Mike70.

Brian_au said:
No mining in Victoria? It's Halloween not April fools. I'll pay no attention to any negative feedback to this statement, the PMAV is a toothless tiger. Now an opinion following that fact. I feel this statement is simply scaremongering to drive membership numbers of an orginisation which has lost its relevance and is devoid of any political clout.

If the PMAV did in fact, matter, in a political sense, rights would be expanding not staying in stasis or possibly receding. I am not suggesting it poorly lead or unorganised, simply it is not relevant enough.

Mining will never cease. Period.
I agree I don't think mining will cease - in our lifetime anyway. Problem is it won't be mining, or large scale mining anyway, that will cease. There's money to be made there - royalties, taxes etc. It's the small scale operators & us as hobbyist fossickers/prospectors that will continue to lose ground. Ridiculous fee's & further attempts to make more restrictions to keep pushing us out.
To say that the PMAV or similar associations are toothless tigers isn't totally fair. They are vastly volunteer ran & are directly driven by members. They are only as toothless (or full of bite) as that membership. If members no longer care or aren't prepared to help the cause then maybe it is a lost cause? Members need to drive what happens by having a say & even taking up causes themselves too. I am not trying to give you negative feedback here Brian_au but rather point out some of the positives which a lot of people may not be aware of. These associations are continually striving to improve our lot but they need help from the membership base too!
The PMAV in the past has fought for & gained access to areas of Historic, State & National Park in Victoria - something no other state has done yet. It to me is a great achievement. Parks Victoria ask that both PMAV members & non-members observe the PMAV Code of Conduct when prospecting in these areas. I don't think that's irrelevant or toothless. To me that shows some respect from an Environmental (Greens) dept. I'm sure there are many more examples of where the PMAV are working with various departments to ensure continued rights or in trying to expand upon them but a lot would be happening behind the scenes. Maybe they need to keep members & others more informed. I notice there's not much info on what's happening on their website?
Don't be fooled into thinking this is all just scaremongering. I know for a fact that here in NSW it's not only the Environmental groups that want us heavily restricted or worse but even the NSW Mineral's Council (that represents the larger scale Mining Industry) & also some Landholder groups i.e. Western Land Leases. For various (& sometimes laughable) reasons all of these groups see us as a threat to them or what they want. Without a united & organised front against these groups any one of them could run roughshod over us to restrict our activities whilst theirs are enhanced. If the PMAV or similar groups are not relevant enough in fighting for our rights who or what is?

You make some sensible and logical points mbasko.

As long as state government allows VEAC to control the steering direction of land use lobby groups will not stand a chance. It's to do with politics on the whole but there are forum rules around free speech in this area.

Basically it won't matter who runs which lobby group if the government of the day is taking poor advice and not considering all interest groups. If state government doesn't care or more rightly leaves the decision up to a third parties recommendations that they can either adopt or reject then the process is loaded from the start.

State government has shown little regard for the outdoors enthusiasts coupled with extended use of lands. There's simply little political will or merit to entertain it. It's not simply about there's no money or votes in it, there is, but its easier to sell the protect and conserve rhetoric that captures the fringe green vote and puts less demand on resourcing, which is win win for them.

It's not the argument of access that is the issue it's the ease and convenience of choosing the opposite which means we as hunters fishers shooters 4x4 campers fossikers prospectors motorbike riders wood cutters rally car drivers will continue to be pushed out.

It's not that dire really either they realise they can only enforce what they can effectively enforce. There's still plenty of Un filled holes, still wildlife shot, still pristine sections of coastline clogging up with discarded rubbish.

I hope I'm a little clearer I was trying not to stray too far into politics and why the result will be predetermined and therefore redundant.

If good honest members here feel merit in the PMAV then let me not shake their enthusiasm or stance. I'm attempting to point out that I sincerely think the statement they have made has some reason to be questioned, and furthermore the state government has every opportunity to ignore them without recourse.

Dont know why you blokes are winging 8.( ......Pay the fees ...support who ever you need to support...OR END UP LIKE US HERE IN QLD.... ....NO WATER PUMPS. :mad: .......NO HIGHBANKERS.. :mad: .AND NOWHERE TO DIG... :mad: :D :D

Smoky bandit said:
Dont know why you blokes are winging 8.( ......Pay the fees ...support who ever you need to support...OR END UP LIKE US HERE IN QLD.... ....NO WATER PUMPS. :mad: .......NO HIGHBANKERS.. :mad: .AND NOWHERE TO DIG... :mad: :D :D

Laws and regulations can be reversed.
So maybe you should take your own advice?

If PMAV was less arrogant and actually spoke with us instead of down to us and maybe simplified the membership signup...... I would have joined in a heartbeat.

LC76 said:
Smoky bandit said:

Laws and regulations can be reversed.
So maybe you should take your own advice?

If PMAV was less arrogant and actually spoke with us instead of down to us and maybe simplified the membership signup...... I would have joined in a heartbeat.
Aint no way in hell...the laws in Qld will be reversed..lmfao...Plus lc76..my advice was pay the fees...support whoever you need to...and...i dont know why u blokes are winging....And that is what i do.....would love to have had the opportunity to jump through multiple hoops....pay less fees than we do up here for a fossicing licence...and then be able to pull up to a creek with a huge highbanker and a big ass pump.... and dig the sh#@ out of the area.. :D..You never know what you had....until its GONE....Good luck hooe you guys get to keep your right ti digg....But sounds like the ball has started to roll 8.(

Smoky bandit said:
Plus lc76..my advice was pay the fees...support whoever you need to...and...i dont know why u blokes are winging....And that is what i do.....(

And how has that worked out for you so far?

LC76 said:
Smoky bandit said:
Plus lc76..my advice was pay the fees...support whoever you need to...and...i dont know why u blokes are winging....And that is what i do.....(

And how has that worked out for you so far?
Your rules and regulations are alot more relaxed than ours here in Qld..Its to late for us to have it changed....But in your case...you have a chance to fight for you right to dig. ..But if you want to get upset about jumping threw a few hoops.... and to much paper work...And they talk down to me....... ..I dont care in the least.... :p ..I already have to work hard for the little bit of gold i get....Good luck Mate :D

Latest posts