New bridge for Oallen Forde NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was an area i was also thinking to prospect with the high banker.
Any tips on a good spot to try ?
:)
1445984316_image.jpg

nucopia said:
This was an area i was also thinking to prospect with the high banker.
Any tips on a good spot to try ?
:)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5588/1445984316_image.jpg

Yep where your flag is is an area on an upper terrace where people used to camp (now closed to camping) and maybe 150 meters from water, down on the river gravel bar and within easy reach of water is the best - but you need to sample, sample before choosing a spot.
Cheers
Barry

PS all that cleared area just north of the flag is the gravel bar

I will be honest with you mate - that spot has been smashed - the last meet meet up there was were 30 or so members for 3 days hit the gravel bank across the river.

Jukebox said:
I will be honest with you mate - that spot has been smashed - the last meet meet up there was were 30 or so members for 3 days hit the gravel bank across the river.

I don't think it is as dead as some would think - there are still spots where good gold can be found without crossing the river. During high floods the river breaks down the middle of that gravel bar and sampling is the key , a typical hotspot will yield greater than a gram per cubic meter and can be found in the top 250mm or so , also remember that in inclement weather this river can rise very fast as one member found out and had great difficulty getting back across and had to return a week later to retrieve the highbanker/pump etc.
Cheers
Barry

GaryO said:
The area is great for panning greenhorn . Although the gold is very fine it is very wide spread and colour is very easy to find. One of the best spots I know for beginners to find gold :)

Gaz
thanks GAZ sounds like its worth a look

By all means i dont mean to say its not worth a try - sometimes the best spots are right in front of you - heaps and heaps of flour gold - i was having trouble panning the heavies out with the member twapster.

Its all in that river - just got to find the honey hole.

A bit high at the moment.
This is from the BOM site.
If you go there just be a bit cautious of rain around the Canberra area. :) :)
1447067380_oallen_today.jpg

Thanks Tath
Not planning to go there in the next week maybe the weekend after next. When we have nothing on.
Maybe set up camp on a Friday morning some where around the ford and do a few test pans before setting up the banker.
My son wants to go with us when we go so i want to make sure I plan things right.
Still need to get the banker legs sorted out .. My mate tried to help me drill the holes for the legs but working with electric hand tools nothing gets drilled exactly the same :eek: ..
Going to get it sorted this week so every thing equipment wise is taken care of . Only thing after that is finding the right camp site ,setting up and doing some test pans to find the right place to dig.
My motto every day is an adventure.. ;)

You are correct. :D
The flour gold is in the first top layer of sand.
I pick on the berms formed at the back of obstructions and do reasonably well out of it. :lol:
In other words you don't have to dig far. :D

Latest posts