New Bloke

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys new to it all here.

Started panning some creeks with a mate where we got some small flecks.

Told another mate i enjoyed it and want to do more he turns around says I have a metal detector want it? So second day of holding have all the equipment and a detector for free it's a minelab xt18000 not sure how good it is yet.

Not sure on the quality of the detector but went out got it making some sounds but never dug it had no gear to do so.

Keen to nail it tomorrow and trying to learn how to find some nugs!

Welcome to the forum Alexc great [ick up there foe free as best I know the xt 18000 was replaced by the Eureka gold but you will find gold with that one not up ther with PI but for free you cant bet that Have fun detecting and learn as you go

Thanks mate yeah great pick up for free.

Forgot to mention I'm in east Gippsland Victoria anyone got any tips on areas or anything.

Looking at going to nunniong but still bit clueless as to picking spots.

Welcome Alexc, The XT Minelab Detectors...1500, 1600,1700,1800 were the best detectors in the 90s... and they still have their uses today...A great learning Detector... I still have my 1700 that I use for beaches and parks, and im happy with my finds.... Good Score there my friend.... :)

LoneWolf.....

JWelcome mate .Still good detectors even tho getting on in age .Just check u batteries are in good condition so u not loosing performance .Great to be able to learn a free one and see if u want to stay with it or not without spending the dollars. :)

Welcome aboard.

The 18000 is still a sort after detector and has found plenty of gold over the years. They run 3 frequencies 6 20 and 60khz .. 60 is suited to tiny shallow nuggets while the 6 is suited for bigger deeper targets and 20 is the best all round position to run in.
They still fetch between 500 - 700 bucks on ebay if you decide to upgrade down the track.

Gaz

Welcome Alex
This is a great forum to start out gold detecting all you need to know about finding gold and places go look at enjoy mate

Latest posts