New 4x4 dual cab ute

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,I,ve started to look for a dual cab to tow an expanda caravan,I want 4wd and I like the dual cabs as I don,t always want to tow a trailer and the tray is sure handy for grabbing some firewood etc.
I,ve looked at the Hilux and they are expensive,I,ve ruled out the navara as being too thirsty on the juice for towing,Does any one have any recommendations ?
Want new and dual cab
Cheers

Very happy with my Isuzu D-Max. Very light on the diesel and capable off road. While I don't tow a caravan, the reviews by people who do suggest that it is a good vehicle for that. I want to replace the tub with a tray, though.

Thanks Doc,the Dmax and Colorado have good reports in the various forums I,ve read.I was keen on the Hilux but the SR5's are bloody expensive and the SR's are light on features compared to the others.I,m thinking this will be the last chance I,ll have to buy new so I want to make sure I get something that will last me for the next 8-10 years with out too many problems.

Cheers

Hi Falcon, i test drove a D-Max a cuppla yrs ago and found it very nice to drive and as Duck has said light on fuel and reliable. My wife wouldn't let me get one because she didn't like to be seen in a dual cab ute. I should have been more selfish i suppose. You are right the Toyota is very expensive and now relying a lot on past history and not supplying our needs like bluetooth, climate control etc. :/

Falcon , I've got a V6 diesel Narava and 20ft Galaxy can get 14.4 lts/per/100. but if your are in a hurry nothing on the road will pass it,fuel goes up to 16/17\per/100
I recond best of both worlds and 3.5ton towing

Hi Falcon,
I have a son living in the Hunter and he's just bought a navara v6 diesel and he gets excellent economy but doesn't tow a trailer or van, but he reckons it's the best thing he's driven. He has a fair share of knowledge about 4x4's as he was a tour guide in Cape York for 2yrs and both he and I have had our share of 4x4's.
I have a Landcruiser ute 2001 model and if I'm loaded I am lucky to get better than 12lts to 100, heavy on fuel but worth every bit as it carries everything I need for the bush. One of the biggest fuel killers is wide tyres and also speed,
I could talk all day on Landcruiser 4x4, what I've spent, where they have their weaknesses, who to go to fix them on the Sunny coast, I love them and wouldn't swap mine for anything.
Cheers and happy motoring Falcon

One boy has a BT50, it is a nice vehicle.. Better than my Pajero, nicer to drive than his 105 cruiser. The cruiser is better than both in low range crawling but thirsty. 14+ not towing.
Bt50 around town <10 ltr/100, towing no idea. Probably do better than mine.
Paj towing 1200kg avan cruiseliner, about 13.4 (7000k towing) but Mudgee to hill end 15.8 seems uphill all the way.
2 other boys with 4*4 , pathfinder non turbo has trouble with skin on rice pudding, Hilux, thirsty when loaded.

BT50 or ford equal worth a look.

Hi Slowflo,how does the BT50 go towing ? In particular fuel economy,based on my countless hours of research I don't think the cost of fuel is going down over the next decade !
The BT looks a good machine on paper and I would love to hear from an owner as far as any issues they have had with them.
My mate has the Navara, 380000k and has never missed a beat.Pulls his boat no trouble but he says it is thirsty compared to his previous car, Holden sedan.
Anyway thanks for everyone's input
Variety is the spice of life
Cheers :)

Hi Falcon
I have a 2010 BT50,cab chassis,around town about 10l/100 towing van 13.5l/100.
I had 2004 Narvarra,great vehicle,8.5L/100,when we up dated was going to buy a another Narvarra,but a lot bad reports on the net,so we went for the BT50 because it got good fan mail on the net
,that info turned out good very happy with the BT,better ride.
Look up the net,you will get some good info there.

TheDigger

G'day Falcon, I too have a 2010 BT50 and have an old Regal caravan that I tow. I reckon the digger is about right with the fuel consumption. I am really pleased with the car. I have done 4 trips to Weipa and 4 out to the Palmer River and have had no trouble at all. It is very good on the dirt and quite stable. I have a canopy and a 25 litre fuel tank on top of that for extra distance. I have heard of a few problems with electronics on the latest ones but I like the bigger engine and if I had the money I would probably get another one. I have 130k on mine and they have been enjoyable K's in this car. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers Rick

Falcon, no idea about fuel when towing as he doesn't have a towbar. Did about 100 k in it the other night & encountered the only apparent fault ATM. The back end is very light & spins the wheels easily. That will improve with a canopy & drawers. You may want to consider this if it is primarily to tow. Mine has better rear wheel traction for towing aided by dual battery , fridge & recovery gear in the back.
Both deisel, paj is 2011 auto, his bt50 2012 manual - it has more features, quieter and more comfortable than mine. Neither of could get up a clay hill a week or 2 ago, both on BFG AT's as they just clog up. We both had a wheel 200-300mm off the ground in a particular section, so there not miracle devices.

Hope that helps
Barry

Hi everyone

Still trying to get my wheels and have found all your comments excellent info

All of you are navara v's hilux v's bt50, has anyone used ranger or colorado/rodeo/dmax

I had a rodeo 2008 and never missed a beat for 200k when i sold it, it was really good off road, but now looking at an extra cab and izuzu don't do one of that vintage otherwise i would buy it

does anyone use a ranger PJ, PK, seem like good units to me, 3ltr diesels with low end torque, i value all your feedback on toyota and nissan

personally i would take a cross-over car into difficult places but now moved to FNQ so might need to be a bit more careful and dont want dramas mechanically, i want serenity with vehicles :)

falcon said:
Hi all,I,ve started to look for a dual cab to tow an expanda caravan,I want 4wd and I like the dual cabs as I don,t always want to tow a trailer and the tray is sure handy for grabbing some firewood etc.
I,ve looked at the Hilux and they are expensive,I,ve ruled out the navara as being too thirsty on the juice for towing,Does any one have any recommendations ?
Want new and dual cab
Cheers
I just bought a mitubishi dualcab ute 2.5ltr turbo diesel auto for $33000 new on road. Delivery on friday. Oh and its 4x4

If I was buying a dual cab ute tomorrow it would be the Mazda BT50 or the Ford Ranger (both the same car) which one I picked would depend on who gave me the best price out of these two. I have heard bad press on the Colarados, but I guess that can just depends on who you talk to.

For towing and wet conditions I would stay well away from the Amarok. We now have them at work and as a result I would not buy one. Their braking (ABS) leaves a lot to be desired. In slippery conditions you may as well say there are no brakes. Have had to use the hand brake to pull up. They updated the computer to try and rectify this but it made no difference. Due to the damage incurred from using these to tow we are no longer allowed to tow with them. After a couple of weeks they failed badly doing what the Cruisers had been doing for years with no problems. Unfortunately we had to go to the Amarok because of their ANCAP rating. :/ Sadly a high ANCAP rating does nothing for their ability. Prior to getting these at work I was interested in getting one for myself. Glad I didn't.

i looked at rangers around 2006 - 2009 models and saw many that had the engines replaced with only 90,000 - 130,000 km on the clock

That was enough to scare me away.

The new rangers have a new design engine but i have no information about how reliable they are.

Mitsubishi triton i have heard nothing bad about the new models

Hilux......... they can be good if you are aware of a few issues and are prepared to spend money to resolve them.

They need a better quality fuel filter and water trap - the standard hilux filter is rubbish and common rail injectors die a nasty death if they get dirty fuel.
The original injector sealing washers are rubbish and should be replaced with a copper washer that is now available to replace the aluminium one.
If the vehicle has leaking injector washers you can get diesel dripping down into the engine oil which blocks the oil pump inlet strainer with gunk ,which in turn kills the engine through oil starvation.
Replace the injector washers with copper ones , check the sump oil pickup strainer and clean it if need be and 90 % of the problem is fixed.
every time you send it for a service , ask for the injector feedback values to be checked on a scanner (5 minute job) , if they are out of spec , get new injectors from NZ for $ 260 instead of buying them in Oz for $ 860 each.
There is aftermarket injectors from an aussie company at Unanderra but there has been a small number of disgruntled customers who got a bad batch .... jury is out on that one until they improve their customer relations.

Nissan navara i have had mixed reports on so you will have to rely on others for an opinion there

Nissan Patrol - very underated and very capable

:D

HiLux wouldn't pull the skin off a custard. I have two of them. My son has a Ford Ranger and loves it. Seems to be a good tower too.
My other son has a a HiLux too and loves it but doesn't tow anything. So my mate has a Colorado and loves it !!
I know all that was of no help, so good luck on the decision.
Bop

Wouldn't touch a hilux today, not the machine they used to be...unbreakable..lol

Hi Falcon,
I have a 2008 Colorado LX (That's the 3L engine, not the latest 2.8L), before that I had 2 Land cruisers and I must say out of them all, the Colorado wins in fuel economy,power and handling.
Cheers.

Latest posts