Sydney to FNQ Roadtrip- Your input please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday Diggers,

I am in the tentative stages of planning a relocation road trip from Sydney to Port Douglas in the New year and want your input on a potential route I can take that incorporates some/alot of gold and gem fossiking along the way, there is no time limit for this trip, I am funemployed.

If you could also recommend some particular fossiking and nearby camping areas to visit it would be great. save me some googling.

I am also in the market for a 2nd hand 4x4 that I plan to put a rooftop tent on and deck out the back with fridge and storage for the high banker I am thinking of getting etc etc, so any recommendations on particular 4x4 models I should look at or avoid, would also be greatly appreciated, budget is around 20-25k.

It will need to tow a decent sized moving trailer along the way, I plan on leaving this locked up in temp storage if I want to go camping/off road for a bit of fossiking for a few days along the way.

Cheers

Ungy

Bloody excellent......you lucky bugger Ungy!

Im from Darwin originally, now based in Vic which I love, but I do so dearly miss the tropics and the Barra fishing.

I don't know a lot about the prospecting area's along your route, so I will leave that to others who are more knowledgeable about those areas.

After 15 years in mining NT (Katherine, Arnhem Land, Jabiru) I have seen just about every model of 4WD put through the toughest tests this harsh country can throw at them.

Without doubt, the Toyota HZJ (Troopy series) handled the punishment best, you cant kill em with a stick, but they are bloody expensive.

My essentials : Got to be a diesel (no debate here) with a snorkel.......reliable in the red dust, river crossings etc.

I prefer a manual, better for towing without worrying about auto trans coolers etc and they outlast the auto's in this country where its 40deg in the shade.

Essential you sleep off the ground in the tropics and a roof top tent as you mentioned, is the way to go! (Wild pigs, water buffalo, saltwater croc's etc are a danger)

Used to speak with the Telstra boys who came out bush to service the substations on the aboriginal communities, mine sites etc......they all drove diesel Land Rovers (defender) and only had good words about them, though I have never tested one for myself.
They are more favorably priced than the Landcruisers so they may be an option for you to get a later model for around same $$ as a slightly older cruiser?
The V8 diesel cruisers have the most grunt (torque), but they chew through the juice.

Have been eyeing this Landy off.......see what you reckon. Is priced at $28,000 but I reckon you could crunch him on that and it comes with all the goodies.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...ender-2002/SSE-AD-3084533/?Cr=4&sdmvc=1#start

Im jealous, so I might go for a cry now!

My best wishes for a great adventure mate ;)

Latest posts