Need help with this one

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzie1957

Wayne Blyton
Reaction score
Found today. 1.85g of the good stuff and this coin, if that's what it is. Need some help with this one.
At first I thought it was an 'ordinary' penny but now I'm not so sure. Seems too big.
35mm across, 2.5mm thick and weighs 23g. Any ideas?
About the right size for a cartwheel penny but very difficult to make out any detail.
1402117300_1.85.jpg

1402117330_img_0610.jpg

Hard to tell from that picture. By the sounds of the size you seem to at least have a pre 1860 penny. The thickness could tell you if it is a penny trader token or not. There are not as thick as the pre 1860 pennies. The head shape normally is the clue with these well worn coppers. I do see what appears to be a slight rim on the edge which could indicate cartwheel penny.

Dutchy said:
Hard to tell from that picture. By the sounds of the size you seem to at least have a pre 1860 penny. The thickness could tell you if it is a penny trader token or not. There are not as thick as the pre 1860 pennies. The head shape normally is the clue with these well worn coppers. I do see what appears to be a slight rim on the edge which could indicate cartwheel penny.

This does have a rim on each side. Apart from that the rest is very hard to discern. Have to give it a soak for a while.

The rim is the giveaway and might as well say cartwheel if its the same shape of one. They are found so worn in the 1850-60 sites. Lots of circulation and years.

My money's on a cartwheel if the diameter is similar

A good find for australia they are not found all that often

Well done

Weigh the coin if it's a cartwheel penny it will be 28.3 grams and 36mm in dia if it's a two penny cartwheel it will be 56.6 grams and 41mm in dia. Don't forget that copper is weighed in Avoirdupois ounces not troy
good luck well done
cheers db