My oldest find.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found my oldest relic that I can put a date on.

I must say when I found it, I thought I had found an ancient Roman coin :lol:
Any way it still turns out to be fairly old.

1402308919_image.jpg

1402308944_image.jpg

It's a halfpenny token from the 1790s.

Bottle & Less Taxes Norwich Conder Halfpenny

Norwich (Norfolk) copper Conder halfpenny token undated. Obverse: Old fashioned bottle with legend: MORE TRADE AND FEWER TAXES. Reverse: Standing figure of Hope supporting anchor with legend: PROSPERITY TO OLD ENGLAND.

Cheers - Stoney

Thats a pretty good find, you going to try and clean it up or leave as is?

Given the date, it must have come over on one of the first few trips importing undesirables from the old dart

Cheers, Tone

Thats a nice find. Very cool indeed.

Is it me or the older the token and more simple
They were made?

Goldpick said:
You could almost start up your own museum from all your finds Stoney, great token! :)

My thoughts exactly, Stoney has some great history coming out of the ground. Great find.

TenOunce Tone said:
Thats a pretty good find, you going to try and clean it up or leave as is?

Given the date, it must have come over on one of the first few trips importing undesirables from the old dart

Cheers, Tone

I'm not sure about cleaning it anymore, it's not valuable, I'm just worried I'll loose more detail, might just give it a soak in olive oil.

The more I find at these sites the more confused I get as how they got there, and what was going on.

Either the original dwellers collected buttons and guns, or this little corner in the middle of a grazing paddock has seen a lot of action.

Wally69 said:
Goldpick said:
You could almost start up your own museum from all your finds Stoney, great token! :)

My thoughts exactly, Stoney has some great history coming out of the ground. Great find.

Thanks again Goldpick, Wally and Wolfau :)

I am considering contacting a local historian to see if they are interested.
I am very keen to find out as much as I can.

I got lucky again today, While I was at work I meet a very friendly old farmer, who gave me permission to search another few sites on his farm, and they look awesome :) he also gave me some more leads.

Cheers

Latest posts