My oldest coin ever

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy cobb

Steve
Reaction score
Well I finally got out for a swing today and did ok with some coins badges etc I have posted them under xterra 705 finds but I am over the moon on my best find todate and it deserves its own post its a coin that is 358 years old as it has turned out to be a rare 1660 Irish Farthing they where only produce for one year.
It does not photograph too well.
1521805901_20180323_213348-768x1365.jpg

But here it is

Wishfull said:
Nice find there. I would like to see it cleaned up but,
it being rare I would definitely not recommended that.

Cheers

I have washed it in water then a light soak in olive oil but I will not be doing any thing further as it has already marked / removed a small amount of detail on the back of the coin But I am very happy to have found a 358 year old coin here in oz and the funny part about it was when I dug it up I thought it was another one cent coin at first that had just weathered bad as it is very thin coin But this one is going straight too the pool room :D

I reckon it might be a gaming token which were pretty common on the goldfields. The X in REX of your coin is up near the crown where the original is halfway up the harp.
Either way a coin with some great history

GemQ said:
I reckon it might be a gaming token which were pretty common on the goldfields. The X in REX of your coin is up near the crown where the original is halfway up the harp.
Plot thickens now GemQ... is there a photo from your research that we can see too... please. :D
be good to have either though still. :D

GemQ said:

Thanks for your input and you are correct and the X in rex is near the crown so you got me to recheck my research and I have found a coin that matches I now belive its a James 1 Lennox Fathing
1521845477_17th-c-farthing-comparison.jpg

as the X is near the crown and if I'am correct that makes it older

Smoky bandit said:
Wow that's cool..I would be at that spot checking every inch..But I'm sure you will :Y: :Y: :Y:

Will be doing that SB but the area I found it in is about 3 acres in size and I have only done a small part off it so I will be back there a few times and will go over it all again when and if I finish it

roy cobb said:
Smoky bandit said:
Wow that's cool..I would be at that spot checking every inch..But I'm sure you will :Y: :Y: :Y:

Will be doing that SB but the area I found it in is about 3 acres in size and I have only done a small part off it so I will be back there a few times and will go over it all agian when and if I finish it
Good luck mate :Y:

This whats great about this hobby / lifestyle it just keeps you going and it also proves you never know what you're got untill you dig it still get excited ever time I hear a good single and the spade goes in the ground :lol:

Ramjet said:
Gives me hope that I may find something that old in our area. Just outstanding. :D

Thanks RJ
Never thought I would find any thing that old and was blowen away when I found out how old it is the funny part is I had pulled five one cent coins just befor it and when I first dug it I felt I had just dug another one :( till I cleaned it up :lol:

Latest posts