My Nokta Fors Core Hunts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rocketaroo said:
I dunno, I just soaked it for 5mins, nothing happened, so I rubbed it with bi-carb, some improvement, but back in clr now.

Nice going cant wait to get my next Florin or any silver coin for that fact :cool: CLR (thats evil shite), electrolysis may be better (maybe?)

I dont mind Silver, the thrill is in finding them, I rarely clean them, as they just sit in a bag, unseen. Little inheritance for grandkids maybe oneday.

1449995362_20151213_192150-1.jpg

1449995396_20151213_192213_001.jpg

Electrolysis is best to use on those older silvers, only requires a few minutes to loosen up the black oxidation, and then it should wipe off easily with a microfibre cloth. If it doesn't all come off after the first go, just give it another quick burst to remove the remainder. It's only the 50% silvers that get a copper tarnish when use with electrolysis.

Bicarb tends to scratch the earlier silvers too much, you will especially notice the fine scratches when photographing under a light source - not pretty. :(

Though I haven't bother to clean mine much this year, still sorting through all of them. ;)

1450004363_img_20151213_193418.jpg

Latest posts