my first year prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well 2015 was a learning curve after first panning for gold in a creek near ballarat last winter on the coldest day of the year i found 3 specks of gold and was hooked. Since then it has been alot of trial and error with homemade equipment. starting off with a little battery operated bilge pump on a cleanup sluice running classified material theough it and my pan. Travelled to oallen from wollongong at least once a month for 6 months and have tried teaching myself how to find the gold. Ive been to warri bridge a couple of times camping overnight as well.. ive travelled out west towards tuena to have a look at the area and a couple of quick pans for not much sucess but this year im going. To try get out where i can find some chunkier gold all up i have managed to find 1.36g of fine flour gold drom oallen and warri bridge. This year i plan to test my homemade highbanker and hopefully will have a little more colour to show next year :)

if you dont mind me asking but you from wollongong? i am too if you ever want company shoot me a PM and see if we can organize a trip or two, again only if you want to

hey YF 1.3 grams for your first year is good going. My advise would be to learn how to sample a watercourse and what to look for that will hold gold. Ie rock bars & crevises. Then do your research on the lesser known alluvial fields. Good golding though on your first yr.

That's fantastic mate, I love hearing everyone's tales, the journey they are on. Hope there's alot more for you in your second year, I am sure you'll be fine.

Well done YF, great effort
I too am from the Wollongong area, as Jamie mentioned if you ever need company PM me, I'm always looking for an excuse to dig a hole :)

And if you want, We have a meetup next weekend where you can come along if you wish.
There will be a lot of digging going on with bankers and stuff,
Let me know.

Hey guys thanks for the encouragement hopefully ill meet a few of your faces out in the feild one day. im planning on heading up to tuena next weekend and camping overnight weather permitting..... does anyone know if there is a website you can get the creek level from as it would be good to research the creek level before driving up discovering the place is flooded as i have done once in the past.. apart from tuena i would also like to head borth of bathurst at one stage but i own a falcon at the mkment is there areas up that way that are able to be accessed by a 2 wheel drive as i am only familiar with the names of sofala and hill end from word of mouth but have never been to the places there was a couple of places out towards mudgee that i would be interested in checking out as well might wait for the weather to cool a little first before taking that trip though.