motorised trommel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi guys, I'm making a motorised trommel, I have acquired a wiper motor off an ef-el falcon, there is no plug on it, so I'm wandering how to wire it up for 2 speeds' the cables are blue with red, white, black and no stripes on them, plus 2 x black wires which are grounds.
I have googled but can't find anything.

Cheers,
Paul

Mate, you can put a variable speed switch on ANY dc motor...
You could grab one off ebay or just goto jaycar. That way you would have fully adjustable speed instead of just fast and slow. Also wiper motors draw abit of power. I'd recommend taking a look at some geared 12v motors on ebay. I believe there's one that's 1800rpm geared down to 70rpm (enough torque to tear your arm off) it comes with a variable speed switch too (5rpm-70rpm perfect for trommel)..:) draws less than a wiper motor but a little pricey at $150 from memory...:) Hope this helps

Hi All,

This post brings to mind a question I have had for a while - are trommels legal in NSW or not? , my thinking is that being fed manually they would be ...any advice appreciated.
Rgds
Barry

Would need to be hand cranked as otherwise it is classed as powered machinery.

I thought its legal to classify but not to dig with machinery, I may be wrong, but that's the way I understand the law.

Cheers,
Paul

Gumshoe said:
Mate, you can put a variable speed switch on ANY dc motor...
You could grab one off ebay or just goto jaycar. That way you would have fully adjustable speed instead of just fast and slow. Also wiper motors draw abit of power. I'd recommend taking a look at some geared 12v motors on ebay. I believe there's one that's 1800rpm geared down to 70rpm (enough torque to tear your arm off) it comes with a variable speed switch too (5rpm-70rpm perfect for trommel)..:) draws less than a wiper motor but a little pricey at $150 from memory...:) Hope this helps

Thanks for yourreply Gumshoe.
So technically, I could do that to this motor? Put it on fast and put a potentiometer on it to vary the speed? Its a prototype to see how it goes.

Cheers,
Paul

I know where there is one that needs some TLC

1393371817_tromel.jpg

paul_mac1 said:
I thought its legal to classify but not to dig with machinery, I may be wrong, but that's the way I understand the law.

Cheers,
Paul

Sorry Paul, guess that's the downfall and beauty of the internet. In Nsw the law is clear on no power machinery to process, you would need to review the SA regs

Yep exactly. You can give your wiper motor variable speed :) only downside like I said it will draw alot of power and nowhere near the torque of a geared motor. How you going to have it set up direct drive, belt & pulleys or chain and sprocket...??

Hi guys, just wondering if it would still be called mechanical if you had water powering the trommel's rotation instead of a motor????

cheers.

Goldagettin said:
Hi guys, just wondering if it would still be called mechanical if you had water powering the trommel's rotation instead of a motor????

cheers.

HaHa........... im working on plans for something like that at the moment.....................are you watching me :eek:

HAHAHA no dwt.... I swear it. lol

I just read the post from ben78 and about mechanical not being legal and it got me thinking.

Plus powering it with water makes a crap load more sense to me as you would already have a pump to run the spray bars, so why in hell would you want to have to lug a heavy battery along and muck around with wires, motors and controllers when a T piece a tap and 2 feet of hose will do the same job.

just thinking out loud is all. :)

Hahahahahaha dwt It's not "paranoia" if you ARE being watched... then it's" heightened awareness" ....lol

If you 'power' something with water, ie manufacture it in a way that the force of the water causes a rotation you are then using hydraulic powered machinery.

Latest posts