Mitsubishi Air Bags.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spike111, You should be ok... The Re-call applies to 1996-2000 Pajeros... Have a look back through this Topic and I have listed the sites... But in the future , who knows if you will be involved... Apparently half way through 2000 they discovered the issue and changed the sealer in the canisters... Fingers crossed you are ok...

Use the site that you put your VIN in... Not the one that you enter your Rego... That one has been proven wrong several times...

Felix, stay away from the Dealer for the time being... MM in the US and Japan are looking at a fix and the pressure is on MM in Australia to do the same... OR remove all accessories(bull bar, spoties, UHF radio etc) and approach your dealer with past recepts for repairs as they are adding them into your Buy-back price....

LW...

Yes Panther, but some Pajero owners have done the same and they were Ok... They then checked the VIN site and they are not Ok.... And I typed my rego in and it tells me that Mine doesn't exist....

Are You involved in the Re-call?

LW...

Hi Spike . Maybe you could go to the manufacturers website and find out there. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Lots of back and forth searching on the internet today. Finally got an official answer to my steering wheel dilemma.. (Bad news for me) Here is what I found.

NATIONAL CODE OF PRACTISE for LIGHT VEHICLE CONSTRUCTION and MODIFICATION.
SECTION ( LS )
TYRES, RIMS, SUSPENSION, and STEERING.
SECTION 4; BASIC MODIFICATION WITHOUT CERTIFICATION.

4.9 STEERING WHEELS.

Replacement steering wheels must not effect compliance with ADR 10 (after 1970) and ADR69 (after June 1995). Unless a steering wheel is marked, or has accompanying information,as having been tested to the appropriate ADR, it must not be used as a replacement. In addition, for vehicles required to comply with ADR 69, the steering wheel assembly must be IDENTICAL to one fitted as an OPTION to the same model by the vehicle manufacturer, or alternatively, a steering wheel that has been certified by the replacement wheel manufacturer as a complying wheel for the specific make and model may be used.

I guess that I will be taking LW's advice and just hold off and wait to see what eventuates. At least for the moment, my recall is not manditory. Thanks for the help LW.

:Y: No worries..

Yes even some thought a SAAS steering wheel would help them... But No it won't...

Sorry to hear... But yes stay away for now... I have an NL but no airbags from factory so im not affected But I know a lot who are and the more pressure We can put on the ACCC and MMAL the better..

LW...

I just spent 12g on new motor gearbox running gear and kitting it out for long trips.. took me 2years...98 nl..
5000km on new engine... fully rebuilt car.
Took it in yesty cause i cant stand the stress anymore...
Was treated like an idiot at the dealership..
Absolutely soul crashing.....

I feel your pain. I haven't been able to bring myself to taking it in yet. The mrs is hasseling but i just cant do it. 8.( 8.( 8.(

Yobskin, remove all your accessories like bullbar, UHF, rear draws ect BEFORE you approach the Stealer again and make sure that you also get them to copy your recepts for new Drivetrain ect and submit them too as they are adding then into the buy-back price...

MMAL has a hotline, have you contacted them through there? Good place to mention your Treatment... Did they take any pics ?

REMEMBER that this Buy-back is Voluntary ATM... you are not inclined to do anything if you don't want too... But when it becomes Mandatory That's a different story...

Highest offer I know of is $7,300 over in WA... East coast seems a bit less...

I need a 3.5 SOHC ? ... Im looking for one of the affected ones as a parts car as when they crush them, parts are going to be in short supply...

PM me if you want to chat further... :beer:

LW...

Just an update on my little 1999 lancer recall dilemma. I finally found an identical airbag steering wheel from a 2004 ce lancer with no current recall on it. Just got to go through the crap of getting the recall taken off my car now now. Plus I reported that mitsubishi workshop manager to the dept of transport and Mitsubishi Australia, and just found out now that he was let go recently. Hope I had something to do with it. He should have done the right thing by me. I believe that he had a duty of care to give me the right information, and think of my family's safety instead of mm's bottom line.

This is a lefty scare (get the clunkers off the road) so we all have to buy Teslas.
Follow the money. ;)