Missing Prospectors & other Persons (WA) Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1619605743_screenshot_20210428-182828_facebook.jpg

Upside said:
grubstake said:
And yet another missing prospector, this time in the Meekatharra area.

Frantic search underway for 83 year-old prospector missing in mid-west WA:
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa...prospector-missing-in-mid-west-ng-b881961377z

83 and walking around the bush! Jeez he's gotta slowdown a bit or alot.

Nah Upside. Good on him for doing what he does. Hope I can be like that at that age.

Hopefully he is found soon and all is well. :Y:

Its unfortunate that sometimes people underestimate their own frailty, & overestimate their safety.
I was recently involved in a successful search n rescue not far from home in dense hilly bushland.
It takes a huge toll on the family when a member becomes lost & their life is on the line.
Everybody needs to keep this in mind & carry & use safety gear. UHF, PLB, etc.
Hope the bloke is found safe n well.

Re ("Unfortunately, Mr McDonald didn't have any food or water with him, or any communications devices, but he thought he was on a short walk.")

Years ago, going for a "Short Walk" out from the 4x4 to investigate possible detecting area, had trouble finding the vehicle, all short walks since have a CB in my pocket. ( No wind, no sun, all trees same height, no hills/high trees in the area)

Hope he is OK.

83..... what was he doing out of the nursing home :eek:

It was just a joke bro......I hope they find him too :perfect:

don't worry he push his emergency beacon mmmm....... another 3 days for my mate looking for a prospector ,but in the long run hope his allright, so how many members have got there beacon, for 2-3 hundred bucks wtf, im over so r family and friends

PeterInSa said:
Re ("Unfortunately, Mr McDonald didn't have any food or water with him, or any communications devices, but he thought he was on a short walk.")

Years ago, going for a "Short Walk" out from the 4x4 to investigate possible detecting area, had trouble finding the vehicle, all short walks since have a CB in my pocket. ( No wind, no sun, all trees same height, no hills/high trees in the area)

Hope he is OK.
I know exactly what you mean. I had to climb a hill once just to find my car :8 Then there was anouther time I almost ran over myself in the middle of no where. Would have been feral pig food.

Sorry to hear the old fella hasn't been found. Seems a bit strange with a heap of people and services looking for him, wouldn't have thought he wouldn't have gone to far from vehicle. Hope he's found soon

G'day

As of yesterdays evening news the search continues, and still with no trace of Trevor McDonald, its hard to believe that something has not been turned up as he was supposedly only going for a short walk from camp, but this highlights the fact that you should never ever leave a bush camp without your safety gear even if you only intend to do as he did, I don't hold up much hope of him being found alive after 5 days due to his age and condition, but I hope I am wrong and he is found alive.

cheers

stayyerAU

Take this as a lesson girls & guys, everybody needs to carry a PLB in this terrain. His wife grew up in the area so they most likely both knew their way around but we had a few overcast days. Most of this region is featureless country so once the clouds obscure the celestial navigation and the sun has disappeared even the most experienced can lose their way. I've met several people who have purchased a PLB and keep it in the glovebox. How much use is that when you are out of sight of camp?

Latest posts