Miner's right claim

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymetal

Luke Atkins
Reaction score
Does anyone on here know how to go about getting a miners right claim in Victoria? Do you just go and peg out your area and then inform the dpi? Any help would be great. Thanks

Hmmm, I couldn't answer specifically, so thought better to look like an idiot, than open my mouth and remove all doubt.... 8)

Seemingly, the miners right that I had back in Melbourne many years ago, is not the miners right that you have today.
It appears, all this 'right' does is transfer ownership of 'minerals' found, from the state, to you..

I found a pdf while looking for an answer to your question.

I'll look for it again, it was more of a National thing, and had references to all States. It seems QLD is one of the hardest states to get a lease granted??

Note, I said LEASE.... I can find no referance to a CLAIM (ie non mechanised) anywhere...
I know, that up here, there are 1 hectare claims, so it must be able to be done?

I think the easiest way for you, would be to ring the boss?! Your local mines authority, and ask up front?

OK, here's some bedtime reading for ya!!

http://www.ret.gov.au/resources/Doc.../Guide_for_ Investors_9OnshoreLegislation.pdf

I seem to recollect that (in Vic) should you go down the track of an exploration permit, you can actually peg a 'retainer' lease (thats not the right word..), so you can hold onto the ground for a period, prior to acually putting the mining lease application through. (ie waiting for funding, or other things..)

If, and I say IF, its anything like up here, then simply in fee's etc, for say a 100 acre lease, you are looking at $20,000.
I am not including your time, fuel, pegs, labour etc...
Then rent, rates, EPH fees....annually.....
Its not a cheap excercise and you once you jump, you've gotta be commited to try and land on your feet.
Hope this helps.....

GM

Thanks for the info but I'm still a bit lost lol. I met a guy up near Rushworth that said he had a claim out in the forest up there and was camping on it. He told me that he is 19ft deep and still getting good gold out of his hole. He also told me that he has had trouble with Parks officers and has threatened them with trespassing on his lease ! They left in a huff because they didn't know the rules either ! I guess I need to go find that dude and ask him how it's done. :)

Has anyone got any more info on this thread ? I really want to peg out a small claim on my patch. No machines just dig by hand under a miner's right. If I can't get a proper claim then I am just gonna have to head out there and put a big bloody fence around it and start digging !!!

heavymetal said:
Has anyone got any more info on this thread ? I really want to peg out a small claim on my patch. No machines just dig by hand under a miner's right. If I can't get a proper claim then I am just gonna have to head out there and put a big bloody fence around it and start digging !!!

No such thing as a claim in Victoria anymore. It's a similar system to WA now with the PL's, just a lot more paperwork.

DD

I read the vic paperwork and it's complicated and expensive, it gets even messier if there is a EL on the land first too. If it's for vic I would read through the earth resources (dpi) site and then contact them for further info. Hope it works out for you though, I'm sure many members on here dream of mining the yellow stuff!

Latest posts