Minelab X-TERRA 70 Target IDs, tips, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some settings for you to start with on the goldfields.

Chasing small nuggets.

Prospecting mode (that's the pick symbol)
Tracking on
Iron mask on 1
Sensitivity as the ground permits. Max is 30 - start there and work your way down till it quietens down.
Tones: 22
Coil: DD

Checking quartz species - that is working on and around quartz dumps at mine sites.
Checking white mullock heaps. (That's generally the last thing out of holes before the old timers hit the wash.)

Prospecting mode
Iron mask off
All metals mode
Tracking on.
Tones 22
Sensitivity: 30 (thats flat out)

Lots of rubbish or shooting for coins (will ping small gold)

Coin and treasure mode (the coin icon)
Pattern 1 - use all metals if not too rubbishy
Tracking on
Tones 4

Sounds you will hear: Unless it is an absolute screamer gold will not scream. It could be a simple rise in the threashold. Threashold setting is up to you. It should be an even sound that you will need to adjust. Gold can be a simple little 'woo woo' - very soft. It should go both ways.

You will hear broader sounds as well - these are usually hot rocks which you can generally see either close to or on the surface. They are bxxxxxs of things and look like a dark reddy, generally flat rock. On your Xterra you have the beauty of flicking the machine buttons to give you number readings. Ferrous all read negative, -4, -6, -8. Hotrocks generally give you a -8, + 48 reading. My advice? Check each one - you will soon learn what they are.

What does gold read? This is a very general observation. Depending on the ground, it can read any positive number but usually around + 12 - +16. But, dig all positive readings to start with. Could be lead, a coin or gold.

Technique. Stand on the mullock heap or quartz area. You should be swinging the coil about 7 to 8 seconds a metre across your body. Dont walk. Just stand and detect slowly. Then move on to the next bit. Don't lift at the end of your swing - get someone to watch you and see if you raise at the end of your swing. Detect as low as you can - wear out some skid plates - they are cheap. These are the plastic covers on the bottom of the coil. They are taped on. Tip. carry a thin roll of black tape - the stuff that does not rip. Detector shops sell it. It can be used to runs repairs or reattach the coil skid plateif required.

target found. the Xterra has a pinpointer that will centre the target, give you some idea of depth etc. If you are on quartz and mullock it will be below the coil quite close. You may not generally need it. As most of your targets will be shallow, gently scrape the soil away and redetect. If in the ground - repeat if out flip the detector on its back with the bottom of the coil facing up. Now, some folk may laugh but get yourself a flat bottomed kids plastic beach shovel, you don't need a manufacturers plastic shovel - save some $. Start scooping up the soil you have dug and run across the coil. If not there, place the spill in a clear spot - you may have missed it. repeat until you get a signal. Then remove half (its called halving) and repeat process until you have the target. You will get the idea quickly.

As for the beach and parks? I don't but rang a mate who did with the xterra - he said the settings in the book are fine.

This is a true XTerra story to illustrate how when worked with a PI they are a great detector. I detect with three other blokes. We were on new ground (that is ground off the diggings). We had two 5000, a 4500 and a 3500 all with big coils. A slight threashold break was heard near a smallish quartz blow. Digging down found a beaut quantity of gold. Because we had dug down to quartz and it was in sheets and with the lovely bluish slates I used the Xterra to pinpoint further gold. We also used it to check all the rocks and quartz pieces we had thrown aside. We got several extra grams from these throwouts. Now the moral of all is - we 'threw out' quartz that we thought had no gold. Its exactly what the old timers did.

Anyway Bingo - enough prattling on. Good luck mate.

Wow Loamer! Thank you so much for going to all that effort. I really do appreciate it.

I can't wait to to try out some of these settings and become more involved in the prospecting community.

Thank you again :)

Very annoyed today.

The guy who had agreed on price and me picking up the xterra 70 tomorrow also accepted a money order from someone else and expected me to race the post truck. Whoever paid first gets the detector.

Potentially I could drive 4.5 hours out of my way to find the detector already sold.

Geez some people are rude.

Bugger, I'd be pretty pissed about that but just as well you found out sooner rather than later. All the best with the next one mate.

Yeah that is true, would have hated driving all that way for nothing...

I'm sure something else will pop up soon :)

Well...I ended up scoring a minelab xterra 705 gold pack :)

Can't wait to get out and find something!

Well tonight's the night I go and pick up my 705 :)

Can't wait to figure out how it all works and take it on it's maiden voyage....hope I find something...

I may have to wait till tomorrow to take it for a spin though...tonight will be manual reading night :)

Great Info Loamer! thanks for taking the time to write that out. I reckon I got coins/relics dialed but yet to try for gold, that info was great help!

Sucks to hear about your deal Bingo but sounds like you've come out ontop with the 705! Noticed the date of your last post, did you go out for a swing??

For reference (If anyone else finds this thread wondering about prices) I paid $400 for mine about 6 months ago with an additional DD 18.75 coil, pick, sandscoop, headphones and minelab carry bag.

Hey Angre7! Yeah I've taken the 705 out a few times now, although the longest stint was probably last night for an hour fifteen.

The first time out I found a $2 coin in the first 5 min...then a lot of rubbish.

I've been playing around with the discrimination and am finding a much better coin to rubbish ratio now.

My advise would be to look for a list of target ID's for your machine and then make a discrimination pattern that you can use when in a trashy area :)

Have you been finding anything good?

nothing too exciting here, but almost upto double Digits with silvers, at about $60 in spendables so still a while to pay it off. Quite a few unique buttons etc too

Its funny cos my first proper time out I got an 1893 uk half penny...havent beaten it coin wise in age yet :(

All the best hunting.

Got my 705 today, and can't wait to get out there

thanks for the id's above. Best i've found on the net so far was a post from a guy in canberra who put this up. Assume i'm not breaking any ip as it was on a public forum?

1388750996_705_target_ids.jpg

From my initial tests and some trawling it looks like an id can be + or - 2 on those above depending on the soil conditions on the day and some settings, but they will all shift it seems for that given session.

hope this helps.

I found those targets were pretty spot on with my 70 with the std coil, Now im running the 3khz coil the only things precise are the 50c, $1/$2, 1c and 2c the rest of my numbers are well and truly different.

sh4ggs said:
Got my 705 today, and can't wait to get out there

thanks for the id's above. Best i've found on the net so far was a post from a guy in canberra who put this up. Assume i'm not breaking any ip as it was on a public forum?

From my initial tests and some trawling it looks like an id can be + or - 2 on those above depending on the soil conditions on the day and some settings, but they will all shift it seems for that given session.

hope this helps.

Thanks for those IDs Shaggs. This will be most helpful whilst I am learning with my 705. Monty :)

Xterra 70, in prospecting mode with tracking on, a reading switching between -8 and +48 is 100% a hot rock. If another positive signal gets thrown is as well,stop and have a look. Could be an ironstone speci.

Hi folks...I see in the classifieds there is an Xterra 70 for sale...Can anyone with experience with this particular machine give me a quick review???? Is this a good beginner detector...

Cheers...Sparra

Hi, I have one of these - I got it prior to the Minelab 5000. Do a search on You Tube. There are quite a lot of vid's and info on setting up for different scenarios. You can also Google Xterra 70 Instruction Manual. The Xterra coil is waterproof also. This is quite an early model and I believe they have now been discontinued. I find it excellent to use on beaches.

Mine is still in excellent working order but obviously spending all my time now with the Minelab 5000.

Sparra - I still run an Xterra 70 in conjunction with a GPX4500. It is very unstable on highly mineralised ground like around the Victorian goldfields and I would not recommend it for general gold prospecting unless the sensitivity setting is right down which can cause and extreme lack of depth. It is excellent on clear white mullock heaps on very small throwouts and also for use on quartz to find species (gold attached to a quartz matrix). I also use it when digging into quartz reefs to pinpoint gold as the small coil is excellent in tight spots and test throwout lumps of quartz for any fine gold. Very easy to use, good on beaches and parks I believe. It has two key settings - prospecting mode and beach (for parks/beaches). It has several discrimination settings that allow you to ignore ferrous targets. It is an older machine but still very useful. When I am detecting with my grandson, he uses it on clear mullock and he has found a lot of very small pieces as well as coins and tokens. It is lightweight but robust and uses two AA batteries that you should get at least 6 - 8 hours with. Its faults - the speaker faces away from the user - its at the back of the control box so headphones or external speaker are the way to go. Like I said, like a lot of VLF detectors, they are very prone to being unstable on hot ground.

Latest posts