Minelab Pro Find 25 tips, settings, question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks sa_bogan.
I noticed in the destruction manual it said to keep it away from metal when u turn it on so i have been doing so.

Took it back to the store and they exchanged it so all good. Will see how the new one goes.

My first Pro-find had a similar issue after owning it for a while, it wouldn't register after start up ground balance, or took a long time to register after the initial beep that usually indicates that it is ready to pinpoint.

If you don't get that initial beep after startup, it will not detect metal objects. Just have to ensure that the pinpointer is not close to metal objects when turning it on, and if you don't get that startup beep, you will need to restart it. As SA Bogan mentioned, it will balance out a coin if turned on next to the actual coin, hence nothing will be heard.

Also if your ground is mineralised, the pro-find will false if not ground balanced on the soil itself, or if the sensitivity is too high. This will cause the pinpointer to false in the hole, and made even worse if you push it into the soil.

If none of these suggestions don't make a difference, send it back. Unfortunately pinpointers can be cantankerous things at times, and Minelab isn't alone in having faulty units sent back for repair or replacement.

I took my first Pro-find back to Miners Den and they replaced it with a brand new unit, no questions asked. Since then the new pinpointer has had no issues. :)

Bit late on that one, I see you already have a new pinpointer. :D

The one you had sounds exactly like mine Goldpick.

Only difference with the one I had is if you put even the tiniest pressure on the end or sides of the probe it would start beeping and when you removed the pressure it would continue beeping. So I think there must have been a short or something in the wire inside the probe.

All good now though. The replacement one is working fine. :)

Mine is exactly how you described it.....When it fails on the final start up beep it's just a short tap on the battery cap and it will run. Every now and again with a bit of pressure in the hole it will false, and if it's sitting stationary for as little as 30 secs it will start it's continuous beep .
If you brought it new then I hope your swap holds up.

I just persist with mine, it's a bit annoying but its ok most of the time, I got mine second hand and it's pretty much always done it. New batteries help, a little tape or foam on the inside of the battery cap helps but even if I get a new one I'd keep it.I don't feel bad about leaving it in the toolbox and getting damaged like I would a new one. Still works as intended when it's not having a moment.
It's pretty common, minelab bloke I spoke to believed it was just the early batch that had these issues but as I never got the sales receipt they didn't change it over but were quite willing to if I did and didn't seemed at all surprised when I described the symptoms. Perhaps they just waited on returns rather than a full recall which makes sense if it was only a select batch that had issues.

Mine does weird things when the battery is really low. When I first got it I thought it was faulty but it was just that the supplied battery was rubbish.

Goldtarget said:
Mine is exactly how you described it.....When it fails on the final start up beep it's just a short tap on the battery cap and it will run. Every now and again with a bit of pressure in the hole it will false, and if it's sitting stationary for as little as 30 secs it will start it's continuous beep .
If you brought it new then I hope your swap holds up.

I just persist with mine, it's a bit annoying but its ok most of the time, I got mine second hand and it's pretty much always done it. New batteries help, a little tape or foam on the inside of the battery cap helps but even if I get a new one I'd keep it.I don't feel bad about leaving it in the toolbox and getting damaged like I would a new one. Still works as intended when it's not having a moment.
It's pretty common, minelab bloke I spoke to believed it was just the early batch that had these issues but as I never got the sales receipt they didn't change it over but were quite willing to if I did and didn't seemed at all surprised when I described the symptoms. Perhaps they just waited on returns rather than a full recall which makes sense if it was only a select batch that had issues.

The fact that they replaced mine no questions asked might indicate that there was a known issue with a batch of their pinpointers. Either way, they are pretty much unserviceable when there are issues with internal wiring or the coil, much easier and probably cheaper for them to just replace them with a brand new pinpointer - throw away technology.

Garrett's earlier Propointer was more notorious for falsing and wiring issues, must have been thousands of those change out under warranty over the last few years.

I am on my 3 rd one in the last 6 months...

Same issue with falsing and or not finishing its boot/start up sequence.

Different batteries and frustrating....

Others have had theirs for years and never a problem = a batch with a problem ?

Usually about 2 to 3 weeks for a new one after sending the old one in...

I no longer use mine, but keep it as a test and reference unit.

Must be a b..i..g batch then. :D There has to be an awefully large graveyard full of pro-finds and propointers sitting somewhere, I know Phil from the GMC had a bucket full of faulty propointers sitting in his workshop.

Hi all,
I've just purchased a Minelab Pro-find 25 and am interested in your thoughts on how to minimize my chances of loosing it in the field...

Yep, comes with the belt pouch. But I have also seen on FleaBay that you can get lanyards and also clips onto detectors. Like the look of the retractable lanyards too.

Interested in what others are doing??

Cheers,

Ian

I just leave that pouch attached permanently on the waist strap on my backpack
Pushed in properly mines actually pretty hard to pull back out. Even when packing the backpack to and from the car etc, it swinging around has never fallen out. But in saying that I do have a habit of checking regularly that its still there

Goldpick said:
I use the T-Reign retractable lanyard, available from Garrett outlets. Kevlar cord, s/steel braided attachment, Velcro belt loop etc etc. Also available in two other versions with different belt attachments. Reasonably pricey, but good quality at around $39.

http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/t-reign-retractable-gear-tether-strap-xd/

Thanks Goldpick and yep, had seen them...but wasn't sure how to actually attach them to the Pro-find?

Do you have a picture available as to how you have done so please?

Appreciated,

Ian

You'll also need one of those stainless steel lanyard rings that fit in between the main body of the pinpointer and the end cap, think there are some for sale on ebay. Unlike the Pro-find, my Garrett pinpointer already has a loop built into the body for a lanyard.

Alternatively, I think Deteknix make a bungy lanyard which also includes the SSteel ring, a much cheaper option, just not as robust. :)

This might be all that you need.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Security...748292?hash=item3f6002fd44:g:3QcAAOSwGYVW~Fkr

Hi, Ian I secured my pro find by bolting a stainless saddle to the end and sealing with sealant , not real pretty , but it works very well.
1466843621_dscn1143.jpg
1466843634_dscn1142.jpg
1466843681_dscn1138.jpg

cheers Bruce

Thanks again guys, great suggestions and much appreciated.
Great solution Bruce, very creative and practical. Might wait till my warranty period expires though before I start drilling into it...laugh :lol:
Ian

I also glued flap on the pouch, so it went over the top of the pointer an and down the front, that worked very well too , I can send you a pic if you want
Cheers. Bruce

brucee said:
I also glued flap on the pouch, so it went over the top of the pointer an and down the front, that worked very well too , I can send you a pic if you want
Cheers. Bruce

Yes please Bruce,
Would assist build up a bit of a library of ideas too on the board :cool:

cheers, Ian

I do apologize if there is already a discussion in regards to the pro find 25, but I just received my brand new pro find 25 in the mail on Thursday and was only able to take it out of the box today, it was going well for the first hour or so but now it just beeps at nothing, I am holding the unit up in the air outside, not near anything and it does not stop making the sound, has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Latest posts