Minelab Pro-Alloy Gold Tester

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Despite a few US detecting forums and shops advertising these for pre-order, I have never heard even a squeak about this product from Minelab.

There is the possibility that it is just a US only product, relabelled and sold as a genuine Minelab product???

1449834142_bbh_pro-alloy_gold_tester.jpg

http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/11749-minelabs-new-pro-alloy-gold-tester/

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1434-minelab-pro-alloy-gold-tester/

It takes the guesswork out of selling/buying gold by measuring the purity of the gold in a nugget or piece of jewellery, essential for calculating value.

Some jewellery from Asia, Middle East often have no Ct numbers, so when tested show 22/24 ct. ....... It's not just the look of it but also the feel. :)

I believe it tests the resistance in the alloy....I have one that is similar but another brand. Its used by scrap gold buyers and sellers to determine the kt. of the item. This one is nice as all you have to do is lay the nugget on the metallic surface and touch with the pen which has a liquid gel. The gel mildly cleans the tested part of nugget and determines kt. value.

Reeds Prospecting have it advertised for $499au, might need to find a few more gold rings to make that a worthwhile aquisition. Back to the acid I guess. :|

Seeing they have a detector that can tell you the karat amount I think they are holding out on technology that can just detect gold and nothing else. :D

This machine is nothing new, they been around for yrs, and under 100.00 for some brands, a buddy of mine that coin/jewelry hunts bought one a couple yrs ago, didn't care for its accuracy and resold it within a couple months and went back to the acid/streak testing. I have not personally tried one I just use the acid tests.