Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with your adventure hAYyoUinAU. Hope the NOX works well for you.

Did some more testing today with the 6 coil. Worked a section of a mullock heap with the SDC as I noticed the paydirt was a couple of inches under some overburden. Could have removed that material but I was lazy. Heard a slight deviation of the threshold on the detector and removed about an inch of material before waving the wand over the area again. Needed to remove about another half an inch of material before I got a faint, repeatable signal. At this point I changed to the NOX to see what it was going to say. No signal was coming through so it was back to the SDC and the hole was deepened. Again the NOX was turned on to test the target. This process was repeated a few times until I was able to get a response from the NOX. At this point the hole was quite deep.
1533632113_26d46ff0-58c7-4164-a703-e7dd4992fea6.jpg

About the depth of the blade of the scoop. The NOX was giving a target ID signal of between 9 and 10. I knew that it would be a slightly larger piece of gold to what I had been finding or a piece of junk as most of the small bits were coming through with IDs of between 1 and 4. A nice little half gram mer popped out.
1533632137_56245dbd-8e83-426f-9787-6261805dfbf3.jpg

Looks like the small coil punches to about an inch or so on the small pieces. After recovering the gold, I ran the NOX over the hole and got a signal in the wall with a target reading of 7. Extracted a nice little bit of about .15 g.

1533632181_624da0b8-7156-4ede-b3f7-2480a7ee3270.jpg

Ended up using the SDC for about an hour due to the depth of gold on this particular mullock heap. Did manage one more small piece with the NOX later in the afternoon. Not a big tally but a bit of fun playing.

1533632239_c52d62a9-3665-4e72-b2af-ef189bcc3e32.jpg

Cheers for now

Les

Lesgold said:
Hi Folks,

Just picked up the 6 coil late this afternoon. Even though it was blowing a gale, I thought Id run it over a mullock heap that Id worked thoroughly with the 11 coil and the SDC. Was surprised to get a signal after about two minutes in an area that had produced a number of small gold pieces. The signal was quite good. After a couple of scrapes, a very, very small piece popped out. https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...9913_0c40c635-dc95-4a2b-8cc4-1c10be4dd4d2.jpg
When I cleaned the gold, it would not register on my scales. It is by far the smallest nugget that Ive recovered with a detector. Ended up getting a couple of extra pieces. Both signals were double checked with the SDC before digging.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0084_16cb1f36-6b74-4bfd-8550-14e763fdc68f.jpg
The final result: Equinox- 3 pieces, SDC- 0. (Not a true indication as the Equinox was used first and the SDC would have picked up two of them). All the pieces were shallow (under an inch deep) The coil worked well. Was able to scrub it on the ground with only some falsing. Looks like it may be a top choice for small shallow gold in mild country. Will keep playing and let you know how it performs.

Cheers

Les

Hi Lesgold

Im guessing you had the sensitivity cranked all the way up for it to false?.
Also wondering about your target ID numbers compared to the 11 inch coil on the gold nuggets? Im guessing they were higher then the 11 inch ID numbers and that the nuggets werent now in the same range as the lead shot?.
Ive had a play around with the discrimination with the 11 inch and only kept numbers 1-10 on the tone range after testing at home on small nuggets, this really helped to cut out all the other noise from iron and other targets I wasnt interested in chasing that day due to only wanting to test its gold capabilities, no nuggets that day but I did get a bit of bird shot that was 1mm round approximately 1 inch into clay so I was pretty impressed with that.
Keep the posts and results coming its very interesting to see what everyone is doing and what settings are being used to get better results.

Cheers

Hi dirtdiggin,

Running the sensitivity at between 17 and 20. The 6 coil behaves much better than the 11. Falsing still occurs but not to the same extent and is not a major issue. On the 11 coil all of the gold found registered between 1 and 4 but they were all small and of a similar size. With the 6 coil numbers 1, 7 and 10 have all produced gold. The larger the number, the larger the gold. Have also air tested a solid nugget that produced a target ID of 14. Ill be spending some time testing depth capabilities of the small coil. Early observations indicate that it will be dynamite on small, shallow pieces but will really struggle as the depth increases past an inch or so. Not prepared to call it at this stage. Will need to play more over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Les

Hi Folks,

Pinged a couple of small bits with the NOX this afternoon.
1534062063_5c7c2871-2570-44ae-9655-ce7d84d7a623.jpg

1534062082_a4fde5eb-ce98-4fed-b33b-28d4b2d04cc1.jpg

Before digging, I checked with the SDC to compare signals. Both gave a sweet sounding tweet on the blue stick. A few other small pieces were also picked up by the SDC. Two of them did not upset the NOX at all. Looks like the 6 coil does not have much punch and runs out of steam quickly. I am also finding that you need to take greater care with the NOX to cover ground thoroughly as the machine only picks up a signal when the nugget is very close to the centre of the coil. The SDC will often have a slight whisper in the threshold before the coil hits the target and allows you to investigate further and zero in. Will keep you posted as I learn a bit more.

Cheers for now.

Les

And you forgot to mention we both hit silver targets at exactly the same time. Then 30min later we both hit Pennies at exactly the same time again.

lol. You wouldn't believe how it happened unless you were there. Great stuff.

I put my finds in the Equinox 600 and 800 Finds thread

PS. Not fair, you cleaned yours already....lol

I'm sooo excited I can't say anything..... !!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :Y:

Just gotta go out and will download it after lunch. :D

Danny13 said:
TRASH I CANT DOWNLOAD YOUR LINK, I WILL CHECK THE MINELAB WEBSITE
:eek:

Gday Danny , sorry

The link caMe from the Detector Prospector US website

I see shorty91 has done it ..?

Heatho said:
I'm sooo excited I can't say anything..... !!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :Y:

Just gotta go out and will download it after lunch. :D

I would be too ...!

I just disappointed they havent done one / cant do one for the CTX :mad: :rolleyes: :poop:

Updated no problems.
Haven't had mine long enough to know whether its an improvement or not. Did notice something funny going on with the user profile previously though. Never got to the bottom of it, thought I must have been doing something wrong.
Thanks Trash.
Cheers

petere said:
Updated no problems.
Haven't had mine long enough to know whether its an improvement or not. Did notice something funny going on with the user profile previously though. Never got to the bottom of it, thought I must have been doing something wrong.
Thanks Trash.
Cheers

Gday Peter from Portland

Guess there are a lot of Peters

May have met you a few times at Wedderburn...?

Glad the link worked

Anthony

Latest posts