Milparinka / Tibooburra area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May-be all these and future comments should be re-directed to the Local Tourist Board that 'Promotes' this region... After reading Outback's Comment, they will soon change their mind on charging people to Detect and not charging to Bird watch... Total Discrimination.... And Illegal... :mad:
I noticed the Tourist info mob for this region are on Facebook and Twitter.... I don't do these but those who do should make Comment on these platforms to show we do not like this.... :N: Never been out there and now, probably Wont...

LoneWolf....

Outback said:
Absolute madness , this will stuff the place .

I know 3 lots of oldies husbands & wives who go up each year for a 3 weeks stay at the caravan park , they spend money at the pubs & shops also .
They are all just pensioners who save up for this trip every year !

It will now cost them an extra $90 per day or $1890 for the 3 weeks !!
You can bet the cancellations will start to pour in .

Stupid Stupid & Stupid decision , economic self destruction :N:

jack

Well said Jack, I agree 100% with your comments.

I notice the sign says "per detector" so we can safely use a dry processor and not incur the fees. :lol:

cheers dave

I think Wally might need to get his eyes checked.

The people at H.E love prospectors and fossickers due to the money we inject into the community.
I was spending around $400 per week whilst I was there researching and eating at The Royal and I was not the only one.

It is a badly thought out idea that someone in Tiborburra has had. Hopefully they community out there will come to their senses .

I am planing to head that way very shortly but now may just bypass this town on my way north.

Wally gets like that when he has too much time away from the Gold Fields.

I ll go against the tide.

For $15 a day to freely detect a location that has not been flogged clean, count me in. (Or has it been flogged, do you have multiple days without finding anything)?

Bob, you spent multiple days at Hill End for no gold. What if you could find 6 SDC pieces a day would you pay the $15?

I have not been to Tibooburra so my comment is based on what little knowledge I have of the place.

Look at Central West NSW including Hill End. Its getting very difficult to find gold there now with the explosion of people and new detectors/technology it is getting cleaned out. The holes left unfilled or poorly disguised are getting noticed.

User pays, its everywhere.

Cheers

RS

davsgold said:
Well said Jack, I agree 100% with your comments.

I notice the sign says "per detector" so we can safely use a dry processor and not incur the fees. :lol:

cheers dave

Thanks Dave ,

I did notice they are basing the fee at $15 per detector , imagine if they check your car & find extra detectors :eek:
This is getting more ridiculous ! seems I can prospect using my dry winder for free ' whilst most everyone else is being ripped !

Can see some journalist picking up this story & writing the following headline :
Greedy town sends itself broke

jack

Sounds like this might be being driven by the owner of the corner store and a couple of big noting locals.

Been a few years since I was out that way. Both times I been there I came across the Strezlecki Desert and both times stopped at the store. No doubt new owners these days, perhaps from the big city lights and trying to make an impression.

From my point of view, Tib is a cute little remnant of what some outback country towns used to be like. They have a little bit of history, such as Clifton Pugh's workshop, but little else to attract the tourist. It is nothing but a stopover after a trek across the desert or after coming down the Bulloo river track.

The fact that gold was found there and at other places in the vicinity such as Milparinka and Mt Poole, offers the town a chance at surviving on tourism based on gold prospecting. If their idea of charging this detector fee goes ahead, it will be the death knell of the town. And I would suggest, the death knell of the corner store.

I've spent a life in business from one man small enterprise up to managing multi million dollar enterprises, but I have never heard of such idiocy as this.

Cheers
Bill

$15- To Detect on Public Land..... As said, A very Good way to send the Town Broke.... Next it will be a Tourist Bed Tax... :lol:

LoneWolf....

T.....$&@#........a , :rolleyes:

And yes, I suspect macular degeneration is linked to gold deprivation.

Sorry for the misdirection :8

The town should be sprinkling nuggets over the thrashed out common and start a rush and start some annual jamborees , now thats good marketing .
The miss conception detecting is for profit is a joke that will leave their town empty , if it was private land that was never touched i would pay that fee but not for a public common area.
Strategic sales of goods and services or even putting 20 cents on the price of everything would have returned more without angst , good luck policing this as the man hours per day will break the budget .

What do they believe their basis is for being allowed to charge an access fee for public common usage land? Have they been granted some sort of exclusive management deal by a statute authority? I should think that if challenged in court this would fail big time.

I dont have time but if 50 or 100 of us could turn up with detectors and start swinging , then when the first person got asked to pay we all could just pack up and leave in a convoy of caravans finding the closest friendly town and spend a week drinking the pub out of grog and buying all the groceries etc leaving the town in a state of shock. :lol: just thinking out loud :D

Unfortunately under the Commons Management Act 1989 they are within their rights to do so. It must be done properly though.
Part 2 Division 2 Section 9

9 Power of a trust to make by-law

(1) A trust may, in relation to the common for which it is established, make a by-law, not inconsistent with this Act, for or with respect to the following:

(n) imposing charges to be paid by or in respect of commoners or other persons or groups of persons as a condition of their being allowed to use the common, a part of the common or specified facilities located on the common for a specified purpose,

(3) A by-law made under subsection (1) or (2) is required to be approved by the Governor and does not have effect until it is so approved.

Whisp said:
What do they believe their basis is for being allowed to charge an access fee for public common usage land? Have they been granted some sort of exclusive management deal by a statute authority? I should think that if challenged in court this would fail big time.

I was thinking similar thoughts whisp. A town common committee ! Who authorized such a convening and on what is their jurisdiction based.
There are some pretty specific town common principles and many have been ruined over the years with their evolvement going beyond their original mantra.
Red tape is everywhere. bureaucracy rampant and out of control.
Good luck if they believe they have the power to ruin their own town. From what I am reading here there isn't much support to visit this place again if there is basis to the notion.

GT :N:

Latest posts