microscopic gold in adit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday while showing some friends the inside of some adits in the GT, one of the kids found gold that was barely visible to the naked eye.
How would you process such fine gold as it is literally like powder.
Cheers Steve

Thanks hty,
If there's another way other than mercury I think I would prefer that.
Cheers Steve

yeah pretty much what ben said crush it up in a dolly pot and pan it then collect all the fine gold up and stick it in a bottle then melt it with a butane blow torch into a blob with borax

stoyve said:
Ok guys, so gold as small as wheat flour will not wash out of the pan then?

Gold will stay in the pan. Only issue is if there is heavy sulphides (pyrites) in the quartz as they can be extremely difficult to separate using non chemical means.

Ben78 said:
stoyve said:
Ok guys, so gold as small as wheat flour will not wash out of the pan then?

Gold will stay in the pan. Only issue is if there is heavy sulphides (pyrites) in the quartz as they can be extremely difficult to separate using non chemical means.

Thanks Ben, When I get the opportunity to go there again I will take a bucket and try out my dolly pot and pan it out.
Thanks for your help guys :)

hey stoyve mate if its tiny gold you should be able to break the waters surface tension and pan it no worries..,. if its mica (sometimes looks like gold) or pyrite (will contain gold) then it will roll around in the pan. using warm water helps. show us a photo next time eh :) if in doubt pop in and show us mate you know where i live

G0lddigg@ said:
hey stoyve mate if its tiny gold you should be able to break the waters surface tension and pan it no worries..,. if its mica (sometimes looks like gold) or pyrite (will contain gold) then it will roll around in the pan. using warm water helps. show us a photo next time eh :) if in doubt pop in and show us mate you know where i live

Cheers GOlddigga@,
When I get the chance to go back and get some samples I might give you a call :)
Cheers Steve

Latest posts