Meteor Shower tonight

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was last night it wasnt bad to watch would of been better if the moon wasnt so bright but keep me up till 3 am had a sore neck today ,now there some crazy lightning to watch :/

No he's right anout there being a meteor shower, however he's wrong about it being the Perseids. The shower on at the moment (April 16-25) is the Lyrids, Lyrid meteors tend to be bright and often leave trails. About 10-20 meteors per hour at peak can be expected around the peak morning on April 22, 2013. Plus, the Lyrids are known for uncommon surges that can sometimes bring the rate up to 100 per hour. Those rare outbursts are not easy to predict, but theyre one of the reasons the tantalizing Lyrids are worth checking out. The radiant for this shower is in the constellation Lyra. It's an annual event, as is the Leonids, and the Perseids etc event as we pass through the debris tail of a comet. Meteor showers occur over a range of dates, because they stem from Earths own movement through space. As we orbit the sun, we cross meteor streams. These streams of icy particles in space come from comets moving in orbit around the sun. Comets are fragile icy bodies that litter their orbits with debris. The comet itself may no longer exist, just the debris. When this cometary debris enters our atmosphere, it vaporizes due to friction with the air. If moonlight or city lights dont obscure the view, we on Earth see the falling, vaporizing particles as meteors. The Lyrids take place between about April 16 and 25. The peak morning in 2013 should be April 22, but you might catch Lyrid meteors on the nights around that date as well.

The next shower is due around 5 May - the Eta Aquarids.

In 2013, moonlight will not pose much of a problem for the May Eta Aquarids, the August Perseids, October Draconids and November South Taurids. Theres moon-free viewing time for the January Quadrantids, April Lyrids and July Delta Aquarids. The full moon gets in the way of the November Leonids.

I was looking forward to seeing the meteor shower last night but wouldn't you know it, the first cloudy night in weeks ! The best i saw was in November 2001 , i was in Alice Springs and it was like a firework display!Fascinated me as coming from Ireland i was not used to cloud free nights lol. Almost as much as the fact that when you pulled the plug out of the sink the water swirled the opposite way to what i was used to ! Kate was highly amused at my amazement haha :cool:

Latest posts