Metal pans information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marked

Mark
Reaction score
I have the Father-in-law's metal pans at my place atm...going rusty. What hints on maintenance/storage do you fellas have for these?

Cheers.

Don't paint it or oil it. Paint will always have a surface that kinda beads water off, then the paint peels off or flakes - no good.

The rust will not affect the performance of the pan. Scrape or sand off the worst of the scaly rust - actually a lightly rusty pan is easier to use than a clean smooth pan (same as a well worn plastic pan works better than a new smooth one)

Once you finished using it, dry it off well & store it in a dry place.

A new (metal) pan, wash it in hot soapy water to remove any oils then place it in a fire or on a gas hotplate until the metal turns blue, this will somewhat prevent the pan from rusting.

Steel wool with warm soapy water? If that fails, throw it away and buy a new one for around 30-40 bucks :)

You want a rough/scratched surface - like on plastic pans - when new, scratch the begeezus out of it with a good handful of gravel or even sand paper.
The rough surface helps the gold stay where you want it.

Thanks Ag Man - I had a vague recollection of needing to "cook" a new pan to help prevent the rust - but the brain was trying to confuse that with a cast-iron fry pan for some reason; or maybe the recollection was for cast-iron and the logic is the same (I think I am starting to confuse myself again :( )

Now this is going to get some discussion going. My answer - yes - better in fact. having said that, my metal pans are old and have been belted around and I have to admit I am very attached to them.

Thanks loamer , i won't be trading my 10 dollar metal pan then it seems to find the yellow so all good , cheers

Use it as a dog bowl for 12months then once the bottom gets rust build up they make the best clean up pan better than plastic.

I've been leaving it in the back yard after using it and the rust is building up , thanks for the info.

I've never used metal pans but I'm pretty happy with my plastic ones.

Is a model T Ford as good as a 2014 model Ferrari......yes to a collector or old timer, but technology has its advantages. ;)

Wal.

thank's Wal, i might have to go and lash out on one of those new flash ones, are their any that are really good for fine gold?

WalnLiz said:
Is a model T Ford as good as a 2014 model Ferrari......yes to a collector or old timer, but technology has its advantages. ;)

Wal.

LOL Wal - who you calling an old timer? :lol: I agree if you are first starting out the plastic pans with the riffles are the way to go or if you are after very small gold and very small quantities. I just find the old big metal pans give me a 'feel' - hard to explain. My only concern with the plastic is the scratches and gouges they suffer from and hold up 'stuff' I don't want.

I like my metal pan no one else's I even watched the guy at sovern hill spin it up on the lathe. Frisbee's are made from plastic LMAO'

I have used metal pans and other plastic pans but am now totally converted to the Garrett Super Sluice-hard to beat. Easy to use and takes large unclassified loads. Cant help wondering whether this type of deep riffle could be used in a conventional sluice.

Latest posts