Just knocked this mini sluice up. Opinions and advice welcomed and wanted

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5SIX8

New to all this but enjoying the heck out of it
Reaction score
Knocked this bad boy up from scrap metal and a Bunnings door mat that was made from a miners moss type material.

Let me know what you think and what I could do to improve it. Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20231004_043719452.jpg
    PXL_20231004_043719452.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20231007_041724762.jpg
    PXL_20231007_041724762.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20231004_034256573.jpg
    PXL_20231004_034256573.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20231007_045703400.jpg
    PXL_20231007_045703400.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20231004_042921678.jpg
    PXL_20231004_042921678.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 2
Knocked this bad boy up from scrap metal and a Bunnings door mat that was made from a miners moss type material.

Let me know what you think and what I could do to improve it. Cheers
It looks like you have the riffles held down by a nut and bolt at each end.
If you dispense with the bottom bolt and fit a bracket that will hold the bottom of the riffles firmly in place then, at the clean-up, you will have only one nut to undo.
It also looks as if the riffles are held in place with ordinary nuts. If you use a wing nut you don't need a spanner to clean up.
For what it's worth.
Grey panner

I've never used this Miners Moss type mat but I was fortunate to have purchased a 2m x 1m sheet of open backed miners moss from Bunnings but it must have been a run-out sale because I've not been able to find it since. I think it might be difficult to clean out the closed back variety.

I use a 10"x36" Dream Mat in my sluice and I only ever see the gold in the top 200mm so I think it works very well. It would work better if I could run some rince aid in the water to break the surface tension but have frogs living in the tank so I can't use any chemicals.

The dream mat cleans out with a simple splash in the tub that only takes a few seconds so I find it good value but of course that depends on how much use you get out of it. If you only use your sluice once in a while then a bit of clean-up time probably doesn't matter.

I've never used this Miners Moss type mat but I was fortunate to have purchased a 2m x 1m sheet of open backed miners moss from Bunnings but it must have been a run-out sale because I've not been able to find it since. I think it might be difficult to clean out the closed back variety.

I use a 10"x36" Dream Mat in my sluice and I only ever see the gold in the top 200mm so I think it works very well. It would work better if I could run some rince aid in the water to break the surface tension but have frogs living in the tank so I can't use any chemicals.

The dream mat cleans out with a simple splash in the tub that only takes a few seconds so I find it good value but of course that depends on how much use you get out of it. If you only use your sluice once in a while then a bit of clean-up time probably doesn't matter.
I think the open backed stuff may have been a material for non slippage around swimming pools by memory. Not sure.

I have since upgraded. Hopefully it works better but haven't tested tailing yet
It looks like you have the riffles held down by a nut and bolt at each end.
If you dispense with the bottom bolt and fit a bracket that will hold the bottom of the riffles firmly in place then, at the clean-up, you will have only one nut to undo.
It also looks as if the riffles are held in place with ordinary nuts. If you use a wing nut you don't need a spanner to clean up.
For what it's worth.
Grey panner

I've shortened it and have 10 different miners moss inserts I can remove and raised the expanded mesh to create more low pressure areas. Thinking of adding another layer of expanded metal to set on top and back slightly to create a more pronounced riffle

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_081750644.jpg
    PXL_20231022_081750644.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Dre

Dream mat is the way to go but I'm on a tight budget, unfortunately

When I built me sluice I put 2 bits of flat across the top wide area, ,my sieve fits in between them and classifies what I shovel in; water runs under it to wash the dirt . I find the material flows better down the riffle if it is a smaller constant size , with no big rocks.

“Just knocked this mini sluice up.”​

Where I’m from “knocked up” means to get a woman pregnant. 😅😁 But rather instead we would say “Just put together this mini sluice”.
Here is some sluice box insert matting ‘Made in Canada’ that many people love for catching fine flour gold::
https://www.infinityprospecting.com/
How do you know I didn't impregnate my sluice box though? 😂

Sluice looks the goods mate, so much fun tinkering isn;t it. if you ever need backed moss I had a shipping container of it made 3 years ago we always have 15+ rolls.
same time of you or any PA members ever want cheaper dream mats shoot me a message we always have a small pile of minor flaw production mats that we supply mostly to miners i'll look after you.

Sluice looks the goods mate, so much fun tinkering isn;t it. if you ever need backed moss I had a shipping container of it made 3 years ago we always have 15+ rolls.
same time of you or any PA members ever want cheaper dream mats shoot me a message we always have a small pile of minor flaw production mats that we supply mostly to miners i'll look after you.
Thanks mate. I'm tinkering with a larger river sluice at the moment and will contact you for some dream mat in the near future.

Thank for the offer and info. Much appreciated

Latest posts