metal detecting with the fishes?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love wading and using my CTX3030. I now have scuba gear and want a detector that I can use under water.

For some background I should say that I have a second hand Excalibur, however the threshold is all over the place making it almost useless.
I could send it to Minelab to be repaired but the cost is an unknown factor, I would also have to buy a guard to protect the knobs which stick out and invite damage, finally I'm not in love with the stock or the way it balances - this is not so bad underwater.

I am thinking of buying new from an Australian shop so if there's warranty issues it goes back to them not overseas.
I've also been talking to people with basic PI machines and I'd like one as a counter balance to the CTX.

so what I'm looking for
* waterproof up to 30 meters
* variable stock so I can use it on the beach or submerged
* pulse induction
* <$1100 new (don't really want second hand unless from a local)
* decent volume from headphones - diving is noisy

I am after opinions from people who have used any of the following detectors......
Garrett Sea Hunter II
Garrett Infinium LS (outside my price range)
Whites Surf PI

if there's something better please let me know, I'd really appreciate your thoughts

Gday rodert, as u know I've got the garrett sea hunter mkll its a pi strong sound and head phones aren't hardwired 200ft depth and has a disc mode aswell I just wish it came with a digital screen oh it's also well balanced under water neutral buoyancy hope this helps soon as we catch up you can drive it and see what you think cheers Andrew. .

There are so many to choose from :)
Research, research, Research fella
Everyone will give advice but it comes down
To you fella, what best suits you ;)
Enjoy:)
EM

I wouldn't discount the cost of fixing the Excalibur, wouldn't hurt to get them to look at as it may be something simple, and I'm sure there would be no obligation to get it fixed if it is something more drastic. Some of the more successful underwater detectecrorists use the Excalibur with great effectiveness, and there are other options regarding straight shafts and belt mounting of the control box to suit if the stock setup is not to your liking.

Using a PI detector has it's advantages on depth and stability, but as the Duck mentioned, you will be digging a LOT of junk targets, though the Sea Hunter should be able to knock out some junk targets with its discrimination, but at the risk of still missing some good targets.

One thing I don't like about the Infinium/Sea Hunter are the headphone/ coil connections, there are prone to breakage/bending of the pins if not handled properly, and sometimes shielding issues can also occur if they get flexed too much. You really have to ensure that the pins plus are lined up perfectly with the female socket, otherwise they dig into the surrounding rubber of the socket, or worse case get bent. If they do get bent, you won't be able to bend them back as they will simply break, requiring a whole new plug.

Whilst removeable plugs can be seen as a negative, the positive is that if you do have any issues with the coil/headphones, you don't need to send the whole detector off to get fixed, plus the coils are relatively cheap to replace compared to some other brands. The inclusion of a hip mount will also take a lot of weight off the shaft, especially when using a short shaft setup.

Another minor issue is with the stock shaft, particularly the lower rod which tends to wobble about a reasonable amount. Many owners tend to opt for an aftermarket straight shaft from Plugger or Anderson detector shafts, in particular their Garrett Scuba short shaft setup (link below).

These detectors can also false if you do not secure the coil cable firmly, this is especially noticeable in the surf or where water can move the cable even the smallest amount. :)

1420781816_cache_3016994204.jpeg

http://andersondetectorshafts.com/products/metal-detector-shafts/garrett/

thanks that's a lot of information - I'll keep looking with that in mind.
Then I'll have to decide if I risk the cost of fixing the Excalibur or put that money towards a new water proof PI.
The thing I like about Minelab is that I can send their stuff back to them and they're in SA, also I like the idea of Australian gear. So I might take up that option Goldpick.

I've seen a few second hand Sea Hunters & Infiniums, but after my experience with the Excal I'm a bit nervous of second hand. Mind you my CTX is second hand and if I was allowed only one detector - it would be that one.

If I had more money I'd probably just buy an entry level PI, use the CTX (which I love) for land & beach areas loaded with junk. The PI unit would be for water deeper than 1.5 meters and for reasonably clean beaches.

Duck obviously you like the Sand Shark. Mostly the online reviews have either been about how awesome they are or totally crap. Doesn't seem to be a middle ground? Bit like the Collingwood football team ;-)

Andrew - at some point we'll catch up and I'd love to have a spin with your Sea Hunter.

Hi I've been scuba detecting 3 years I've used sand shark great detecter never a problem has loud volume , I bought a Infinium to unstable underwater coil (stock) to big underwater hard to pin point,whites beach hunter 300 12in coil way to big hard to see lights not loud enough hard to pinpoint,useing now Garrett Sea Hunter 8in coil. A lot better carnt dis don't listen to anybody on that full pi only u dig plenty but for price it's good finding gold often the Excalibur I dive with a mate who uses one he doesn't find more than me and yeh he still brings up bottle tops sinkers so on . My advice underwater u need a small coil something u don't have to ground balance and it has to have volume don't use any digging tools just fan I hope this helps.Thanks

hey 300, that's excellent advice.
I'm hoping my Excalibur will come back fixed - if your mate is using it successfully then I hope mine will work too.
Otherwise might look at the Sea Hunter when I have cash.

Are you guys working piers or beaches?

I think the reason I was struggling with fanning is that the Excal wasn't working.... I was fanning "imaginary" targets I suspect.

Hi Robert I dive swimming places,under bridges,if the sea is calm sometimes but not often,if I was going to buy another underwater detecter I would be looking at a vlf Fisher 1280, Fisher cz -21 there would be more better targets to put time on rather than bottle tops or fish hooks,as for fanning sometimes I use a 4in or 6in paint scrapper with a earth magnet attached this saves a lot of time if it's a bottle top or fish hook (any iron) it will hit the magnet,if you still have the signal after putting in the paint scrapper it is worth digging Gold ,Coins,Silver .My advice go slow you don't have to hunt a 30mtr x30mtr area keep it 10x10mtr learn what you need to learn and there is a lot after awhile it starts coming GOLD have fun and enjoy . Thanks

All most AM it has to be steel the blade of the paint scrapper will cut through the sea grass the plastic just won't cut it,that's if you are in a spot with the grass,the rings will find there way down to the roots just like on land,and you can use Ducktape to secure the magnet.

Robert, have you tried the Excalibur in a spot that wouldn't be thought to have any targets at all,... just incase the threshold is bouncing around because of a lot of targets affecting it when you are in the drink,.. there may be a lot more deeper down than you think there may be.

I did try it in the backyard and the threshold mainly went wobbly after I passed the coil over a known target. It's with Minelab now so I just hope they can sort it without it costing me half a new Excal.

Robert Le Mal said:
I did try it in the backyard and the threshold mainly went wobbly after I passed the coil over a known target. It's with Minelab now so I just hope they can sort it without it costing me half a new Excal.

Keep an eye on them and let us know the repair quote...

Latest posts