Metal Detecting for Beginners. Getting started.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colorasia1 said:
Hi, just beginning around the Mount Isa area. Any advise appreciated. Thanks Des

aussiefarmer said:
dont quit your job expecting to make a profit from detecting

That's it in a nutshell, Des. But good luck anyway, there could be good things out there just waiting for you to find them. :Y:

Colorasia1 said:
Hi, just beginning around the Mount Isa area. Any advise appreciated. Thanks Des

Follow the first link, there is a lot of useful information there. Pretty much all you need to know.

And yes, it is a hobby, not a job. If you make a living from it, or sell finds regularly, you require commercial licences etc etc.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Rick

Nuggets are rare, do not be frustrated if you don't find any for a while.
Play the odds game, but its still a game. You win some, you lose lots. lol

Just enjoy it, don't set your expectations too high, be realistic, and any rewards are a bonus.

Its the rarity that makes those moments that much more special.

Once again, good luck. And most of all, enjoy.

Think positive set your mind I will find gold,thinking anything else than that your wasting your time.You only get what you think.

Put yourself in a known goldfield. And know what type of gold they found in that area. You can swing a detector till the cows come home, but if the area only ever produced fine gold, you will never find anything other than trash.

Looking for gold is an odds game. Increase the odds through research, and patience.

And most of all, ENJOY YOURSELF. It will make that moment even more special. I never expect gold, I just take what I get.
If it was as easy as finding coins, then it would be worthless.

PEACE :D

#Tips

Do not go roaming around in the goldfields. Pick an area, and spend your time slowly and methodically in that one area. Overlap all your swings and cross grid the area. Keep the area small, so as to make gridding easy without having to trace your steps too hard.

Wear headphones, no matter what, and do not swing fast. Even do a double swing. Give the machine time to do its thing.

DIG EVERY TARGET

PS. And do not rake the area you are gridding. Why? Well, the gold game is a lot about other people going to areas where others have been.
So, you might rake an area, and the next people will come and see that there was activity in that area. That can be a dead give away. Especially if you have found an area that produces. Before you know it that area will be barer than the moons surface.

Know what type of gold you are looking for and what size gold your machine is suited to finding. No point swinging and SDC or Gold Monster over deep ground. Also no point swinging an GPZ or GPX over ground that produces flower/pan gold.

And mostly, listen to other peoples advice, but always keep an open mind. There can be plenty of misleading advice out there.
Always find out for yourself.

I was always raised with this motto from the old man.

"If you want something done properly, do it yourself. And if you are going to do something, then do it properly the first time"

GOOD LUCK out there. Hope you find your fair share of shiny.

:)

Folks can i add here that informing yourselves about the geology, structures and principles of hydrothermal ore formation can be of a massive benefit.

Like most prospectors i took the approach of following in the footsteps of others, relied heavily on history and indicators on the ground. BUT i have added a good deal of geology knowledge to that and the combination is pretty special.

Gold isn't magic, its chemistry and structures that put it where it is, learn a little about that fact and added to your existing knowledge you will view the ground under your feet very differently.

If finding a nugget is like finding a needle in a haystack, then geology and structures are the roadmap to the hay

Very useful page for those beginners like me.
I also like the advice of Nuggz, it makes perfect sense and I'll look into as much geological information as my limited brainpower allows ;).

Jacko5 said:
Very useful page for those beginners like me.
I also like the advice of Nuggz, it makes perfect sense and I'll look into as much geological information as my limited brainpower allows ;).

Your not on your own with the limited powers mate that's why we're here we never stop learning.

hey Des..
I am in the Isa and new to dectecting....so new in fact still looking for a suitable entry level detector. Be good to catch up with you at some stage

Latest posts