Metal Detecting a Century Old School Oak Tree

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TassieJack

Jack
Reaction score
This tree is a nightmare or paradise to detect under, depends how you look at it. Has up to 120 years of trash under it and so far oldest coin find is from 1934 under the tree. I live literally across the road from this tree, have tried it several times in the 6 months since i moved here, dug only 2 coins before this hunt mostly as even 5x8dd on AT Pro could not see through the trash.
This hunt i used a sniper coil, my first ever use of a sniper coil in my detecting life, i really dont like coils that small, they take too long to cover a area.
Well under the oak tree is enough area to park a Holden Jackaroo (the car i drive) in 15 spots and still have enough room to open all 4 doors, is a large wide canopy. I only detected in a couple hours about 3 Jackaroos worth of area, so plenty of area still to cover with the sniper coil but so far sniper coil is getting coins and changing my view of those coils fast.

if you look at the thumbnail on this video, the tree just coming into the picture on the left side is where i hit between that tree and building, building is still standing and the tree now touches its gutter. The big tree in this photo and the area all these kids are on, back in 1912, is now a paved carpark with that big tree removed.

Thanks for the Video TJ. You will have to let us know what else come out from under that tree.
You would think that the older coins would be in closer to the trunk. I am thinking of getting a
sniper coil for my sovereign for the junkier areas.

well done mixed bag . is the 1966 20cent coin a "wavey" ?? if it is its worth a few bucks . hard to tell from the pics .

johno

Latest posts