Melbourne Boy Starting Out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimmy

John
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently come on board with an interest for some prospecting and can't wait to get out there and I already feel the sense of adventure and the relaxation that comes with this outdoor interest.

At the moment for me its all about the research (areas to search locally at first), what equipment to buy and how to use it so that I can successfully get up and running!

John

Welcome to the forums John!

You're definitely not too far from the goldfields there. I hope you can get all the information you need from the wonderful members here and it leads you on to some successful prospecting adventures :)

Looking forward to seeing how you go!

All the best,
Shauno.

Thanks Shauno, a great wealth of info right here with as you mentioned wonderful members, can't see how you would go wrong! :)

John

Welcome aboard Shimmy, if you have any questions just sing out.

Nugget.

Shimmy said:
Hi everyone,

I've recently come on board with an interest for some prospecting and can't wait to get out there and I already feel the sense of adventure and the relaxation that comes with this outdoor interest.

At the moment for me its all about the research (areas to search locally at first), what equipment to buy and how to use it so that I can successfully get up and running!

John

Shimmy - depending where you go and as a you are from Melbourne the fields are not too faraway. I can recommend maps that may save you a lot of time. (google them and most dealers will have them).
John TULLYs Maps. Very good scale, good coverage of most central goldfield areas. Fairly detailed. About $20 per book. Has reference points, grids and lists major finds on the area the maps cover. Some very minor faults.
Doug Stones Maps. OK. Scale is larger. Misses some details TULLY has but he covers areas TULLY doesn't. Buy the complete Vic set for about $100.
Steven BARNHAMS Maps. He covers areas the other two don't. Good scale. Detailed. About $20 per book.
Free maps through the national library and state library for download. I think the Vic DPI has maps you can get for free as well. Some of the deep lead series etc.

If money is an issue, there are probably three sets of TULLY maps that will give you a lifetime of searching: DUNOLLY TARNAGULLA and MARYBOROUGH. The benefit is that about 75% of this area is accessible by normal car during the dry.

Detector? depends on what you want to do, how much you are willing to spend etc. If you get a cheepie VLF you can run it over the clear (white clay) heaps and quartz reef dumps. Fun, cheap and a better than even chance.

Areas? the maps will give you a guide but in general there is a lot of crown land to choose from and don't forget your permit.

I started on the 1,000s of mullock heaps around the Dunolly, Tarnagulla, Maryborough area. Had fun and found some gold, coins etc and learnt a lot and had fun. Panning in this area is problematic due to little water. There is a free camping area, with facilities at Wanyarra (between Dunolly and Tarnagulla) and there is a massive goldfield just outside your tent/caravan door.

Good luck.

Hi All,
Living in Melbourne, I've ventured into the goldfields a few times. Dug up plenty of cartridge cases and other trash, but no gold yet. I'm looking for decent areas which are not on the usual maps, and which may have been overlooked by others . . . . . :(

Thanks for the info Loamer, I've been very interested lately with how gold is formed, fault lines and the veins the old diggers would chase.

The maps I'm sure will help me also and will look at investing into some of those. I'm saving up for Garett AT Gold detector but really curious and holding off for the new model release hopefully here in Australia before Christmas.

Wals' Hi-banker (Walbanker lol) is also something i'll probably build first up as I love his set up on the unit!

John

Thanks Duck, I like that part about thinking outside the square and that's how I like to do things also!

Cheers

John

Latest posts